Thumb picks: love 'em, hate 'em? What's your favourite?

michelew

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:28 pm

michelew wrote:
Marc and Daryl,

Then you should both try the one I'm using which is not bad.

It's an Alaska Pik. And they're cheap.

http://www.alaskapik.com

The only real issue I'm having beside needing to pluck a little higher, is that the tone is a little muted compared to a thumbnail. It's louder, but ... Maybe a better description is a little deadened. I'd like one in tusq. Maybe I should try one of their metal ones if I can locate one.

But the action is pretty good. And it sure bets having to wait for the nail to grow back.

M

OK - I now have one in brass on order.

So I'm returning to this thread just in case anyone is still tuning in. Slim chance probably but you never know.

I received the brass aLaska Pik I ordered in the mail yesterday. It has some advantages over the plastic one. It can be tightened on to your thumb more. The sound is a little louder and it does feel a little more secure.

But...I don't like the sound because it is rasping the string, I think becase the metal is pretty thin. I tried smoothing the playing edge, but no change. You might notice I've used the latex glove sheath over the pick again, just to keep it on a bit better as this one still feels like it's being loosened and in danger of flying off while I'm playing.

My TZZombie buddy reckons I have Guitar Accessory Aquistion Syndrome. Ha! Outrageous! I totally resemble that! But we all know it's Gear Acquisition Syndrome. :P GAS is unpleasant but a better acrynom than GAAS. Really!

So... Should I prove him right and try to acquire a Zookie. Not to be confused with a wookie. :)

We'll the good news is that while I'm exploring the thumb pick...AGAIN!... My thumb nail is growing in just fine.

Oh I found another type of thumb pick in my stash too. It's actually not bad, but the action is similar to the standard type. It's a ProPik

The search for the perfect thumb pick, for me, continues.

End of progress report.

M

Edit: actually, the more I use the ProPik, the more I like it.

thereshopeyet

Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Has anyone else tried a SharkTooth or Kodiak crossover pick? I just noticed they're available on Amazon now, but I got mine either from a vendor, or from Strum-N-Comfort, the inventor. http://www.strum-n-comfort.com
The reviews on Amazon are mostly four- and five-star. One reviewer who has a physical limitation for gripping a pick was quite pleased with theirs, and someone else said it was great for autoharp. The one I saw on Amazon is the Traditional model, on which you can substitute most other flatpicks. I haven't figured out what the real differences are between the Traditional, the Hybrid, the Kodiak, and the Un-Thumb Pick. (No, I am not trying to exacerbate Michele's G.A.A.S. ;) )
I kinda like mine, but haven't used it much. I might give it a try for lap steel as well as autoharp.

I didn't know aLaska Pik was making thumbpicks now. I've got some of their fingerpicks, but haven't used them much. I did get some Fred Kelly Freedom picks (Delrin) to use with my lap steel, but haven't had much opportunity lately to practice with it.
Some day maybe I'll get a chance to really compare the aLaska Piks and the Kelly Freedoms.

michelew

Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:41 am

That's really interesting Doug. I haven't seen the SharkTooth or Kodiac pick before. As you say, it's especially good for people with accessibility and grip issues.

As for my GAAS... :) haha! That's always pretty healthy. :)

Thanks for the info!

suziko

Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:24 am

michelew wrote:
That's really interesting Doug. I haven't seen the SharkTooth or Kodiac pick before. As you say, it's especially good for people with accessibility and grip issues.
I might get some more of 'em, to stash with different instruments. I'll still probably have to go hunting for one, but it might make finding it easier.
I hear ya. There's way too much stuff that makes me say "I need one'a those." I should start another thread about stompboxes (the percussion kind). I have two different kinds of those now, plus a Finhol Stompcon converter. I just discovered that the Peterman "Puck'n Stompa" (one of the brands made in AU) is now available on Amazon. http://www.peterman.com.au/music/stompboxes
Thanks for the info!
Happy to help.

michelew

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:58 pm

declark0453921691 wrote:
michelew wrote:
I hear ya. There's way too much stuff that makes me say "I need one'a those." I should start another thread about stompboxes (the percussion kind). I have two different kinds of those now, plus a Finhol Stompcon converter. I just discovered that the Peterman "Puck'n Stompa" (one of the brands made in AU) is now available on Amazon. http://www.peterman.com.au/music/stompboxes
Isn't that the truth! :) there's WAY too much interesting stuff out there in the world of things that make cool sounds. And percussion... I know NOTHING about percussion. ...yet! :) got to fix that. That's one damn interesting page of stomp stuff.

Feel like showing us some tricks? Showing us how you use your stomp box? Or even just giving us a little demo of what they sound like and how you set them up? No pressure. It's just an idea if you feel like doing a show and tell with one of your cool toys.

I can feel the urge to explore. Resisting.... :)

M

michelew

Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:17 pm

declark0453921691 wrote:
michelew wrote:
I hear ya. There's way too much stuff that makes me say "I need one'a those." I should start another thread about stompboxes (the percussion kind).

Oh and if you still feel the urge to start a thread about stomp-stuff, I vote "Yeh", go for it. I'm sure lots of us would be interested. And you might just get some other cool ideas from other stompers on the site.

TGNeil

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Shel, you have talked me into starting a thread.
The video idea will take a little longer, because I'll need to find a tripod for my little Sanyo Xacti camera, set up a place to record, etc. But I think I might be able to get something going.

I think this section of the forum will be a good place for the new thread, unless there's an "Accessories and Peripherals" department.

michelew

Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:01 am

And an informative thread it is too Doug. Nice one!

Craig

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:46 am

Thanks. I think I got a mite "verbose," but I tend to do that sometimes. :P

michelew

Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:43 pm

Verbose?! Naaaaahh just informative.

BTW - have you SEEN any of my rambling threads? You've got a long way to go before you beat me in the verbose department mate. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic