Thumb picks: love 'em, hate 'em? What's your favourite?

michelew

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:49 pm

BigBear wrote:
Shel- you don't have the good ones! The best I've found is a Zookie by Jim Dunlop. The reason they are best is because the tip is at an angle to your thumb meaning your attack is square to the string. I use 20 degree.

Here's a link:

If you can't find them PM me your address and I'll send you a couple.

Bear
Thanks for that Bear. It looks interesting. The angle would change the normal thumb pick attack. I can get them from international suppliers online. I need to work out the right size for me and whether anyone stocks it.

Thanks!

M

wiley

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:15 pm

michelew

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:45 pm

wiley wrote:
I currently have acrylic - yet

Jim Kelly, "Speed-pick" is a nice one, Doyle Dykes has been using them for years.

My favorite, and a costly one is the "Blue Chip" - impossible to wear out (at $40us it better be!) and slick, fast, nice fit ad several sizes and such. I own and use two of the 'flat picks' they make and they are unbelievable, Neil has used it as has Ness. Again, a 'boutique' thing yet......
Thanks Wiley.

Could 'Jim Kelly' be 'Fred Kelly"?

Gosh those Blue-Chip ones look like a piece of jewellery, very substantial. At US$40 they'd want to be amazing. Actually given how much I use one, I don't think I'm prepared to go there. But I can see why you like them.

michelew

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Actually, I seem to be making friends with these horrible things.

I've been playing mostly with the aLaska Pik and a little with the Planet Waves one. I'm getting better with the normal style. But, the aLaska Pik still works with my style better. The thing that's not working so well is strumming. I've realised that I strum on the upstroke with my thumb. It sound a bit.....hmmmm something not as nice....with the aLaska Pik. Oh well I guess beggars can't be choosers. I guess I just have to be grateful that I have an option while I wait for my talon to grow back. :)

So surprise, surprise even I can become more comfortable with thumbpicks. Who'd have thunk!?

M

wrsomers

Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:43 am

Bill - I'd be interested in seeing what your resin ones look like too.

Shel[/quote]

Michele,
I don't currently have any gel nails in place. Even if I did they wouldn't be visible in a photo because they look so natural; only a close up examination would reveal them.

You mentioned maintenance. Once installed, no maintenance is required. They just grow away from the cuticle and can be filed as needed. In any event, it seems like you've got enough suggestions to get you through. $40 for a thumbpick? Holy Cow!

Bill

michelew

Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:49 am

Well I thought I was making friends with this thing... I don't know do you normally swear at your friends???

I may have to rethink the resin/acrylic thing at some point, even if I just use it for my thumb which is the one that breaks more often. ... Well see...

jayswett

Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:11 pm

I started trying to use a thumb pick about six months ago, after having watched the following video. I have had some minor victories with the thumb pick, but it's slow going.

Jay

michelew

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Jay,

WOW! how cool is that! Well there's nothing that I'd like to be able to do that he's not doing in there. So I'll get over myself and work out how to do it too.

Thanks! It's always great to see what's posisble. Somehow it puts it within reach.

Thanks jay.

M

wiley

Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:54 pm

michelew

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks for the links Wiley.

One of the best attributes of the ones with metal thumb grips is that they're adjustable. That's cool.

I get why you'd pay $40 for one of the Blue Chip ones. As I said, they look as substantial as a piece of jewellery. And perhaps I'll get into them in a big way at some point. But right now a thumb pick is just a poor stand-in for my thumb nail while it grows back in. So it seems crazy to go for a pick that with exchange rates and postage will be an investment. They do look cool though. :)

How about posting a video showing it in action? :)

Thanks agin Wiley.

Michele

Edit: 18 October - I've uploaded a little more of the story of my thumb pick adventures here if you'd like an update.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... -work.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic