Stupid low-tech solutions that work

michelew

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:02 pm

Well I've been working with thumb picks. The aLask Pik still seems to be the best one for my style of playing right now. As some of you know I've been swearing while trying to record using it. The problem? Many things;

- the string has been catching at times on the under side of the clip and ripping it off, or it just gets stuck,
- when I beat on the bass notes, sometimes that knocks it off
- when I'm strumming with my thumb that can displace it or make it shift too.

Infuriating. So I've been trying a bunch of things to keep it in place. Yesterday .... being an fix-it person, I tried masking tape. That worked fairly well, but... Felt too awkward.

Today I think I've found a solution. I cut one of the fingers out of a disposable glove and pulled it over the pick to hold it in place. It feels normal, but it's secured and the string can't get stuck underneath. It hasn't shifted. It basically feels as close as I've gotten so far to feeling like I'm playing with my thumb nail.

You should see the results in the next TZZ upload. :)

So anyone else got any stupid low-tech solutions that work for you? Want to share them? The more stupid the better :) :)

Michele

fjeanmur

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Michele--

Hmmm . . . interesting. I bought a pack of thumb picks when Niel put up "Angi.". They've been sitting there since. I look at them and they sneer back at me. Maybe your idea may convince me that I have the upper hand and I'll try the lesson. The little suckers.

michelew

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Haha! Go for it Jean! Those suckeeeeeerrrrrrrrrs don't stand a chance. :)

If you find they're not quite working for you, there's a bunch of other suggestions about types of thumb picks and other approaches here:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... urite.html

Let us know how you fare.

Give those suckers hell! :)

Michele

cosmicmechanic

Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi Shel,

Only had time to glance at this thread, but hope this is pertinent.

I've found this advice useful, regarding straplocks (and more !)

michelew

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:07 pm

Hey Pierre!

Perfect post for this thread. :)

Those Grolsch stopper rubber gaskets sure are handy little things. :)

Thanks for the tip. :)

I can hear it now. Hey honey, I'm just ducking down to the....aahhh ...shop....for a couple of gaskets... Ahhhhmmm....

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic