It's a GAS, GAS, GAAS!

michelew

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:43 am

Come on, anyone who's been visiting the forum for a while knows this is one of those subjects that keeps coming around; OK I just love talking about new guitar related stuff so it's often me.

Guitar acquisition syndrome, gear acquisition syndrome, guitar accessory acquisition syndrome - call it what you will. Lots of us just love to get our hands on a new guitar related gizmo. I find them pretty cool and love learning about new stuff. And yes, secretly I hope to stumble upon the utopia of guitar accessories that will instantly elevate my playing to the ranks of Neil, Vanessa and our guitar heros.

Well there's been enough rambling from me recently about the thumb picks and slides I've been researching and exploring. I'm wondering whether anyone else has purchased anything recently that you'd like to give us a show and tell on. It can be anything guitar/music related. Maybe it's a great book or a new album you've really enjoyed.

Hmmm...maybe I'm just getting forgetful...did I post this question quite recently? Sorry if I did.

Anyway, if you'd like to play, tell us - What you purchased and why?

Let the GAS-aholics confessions / ravings begin. :)

M

wrsomers

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 am

Well Michele, I haven't purchased anything of note in a while. What I'm really looking for is an electric acoustic guitar that sounds more like a mic'ed acoustic when it is amplified. I don't know if one really exists. I have a Martin DCPA4 which sounds ok, but not really what I'm looking for. Most acoustic electrics have that quacky sound which comes from an under saddle pickup. I know how to minimize the quack (by scooping out the mid-range) but I still can't get the sound I'm looking for.

Does anyone know of an acoustic electric that really has that natural sound when plugged in?

Bill

michelew

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:28 am

Thanks for sharing Bill.

I have an acoustic electric Larrivee OM - with a B-Band under saddle pickup. Frankly I think it sounds like crap when it's plugged in and I prefer to use a mic on it. But, I'm sure a large part of that is I just don't know how to balance it properly. I'll try scooping the mids out as you've suggested next time.

So ... I guess my response is "I've got nothin' for you". But others well might.

Thanks

Michele

wrsomers

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:10 am

Michele,
Thanks. Please let me know how your experiment with scooping the mids on your Larrivee works out.
Bill

wiley

Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:49 pm

willem

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Yes, I played my friends guitar and he played mine,I never knowed my guitar sounds so well and his one so bad.. B) :laugh:

W.

wrsomers

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:18 pm

wiley wrote:
Bill, one of 'our' guys, Mr. Doug Young is one of the best in exactly what you are asking. Check out his website and his research - www.DougYoungGuitar.com. Sure, a lot of the stuff is 'top of line' like the Pendulum pre-amps yet Doug can guide you along the way. He has several hundred (340 recordings, 117 test) examples of various guitars and set-ups. He also has a group of books on the subject.

When I bought the Tacoma it was without electronics, I asked Doug, after he had played it, what to install - K&K western mini - a sound board transducer (3 of them) without pre amp, just the nodes and the wiring to the pin. I seldom need a pre-amp and have tried several.

The B-Band A2.2 XOM is another and will be the choice in the Avian (if I ever get it). It has a 6 crystal piezo (UST) and a flat sound board transducer, the XOM part is a pre-installed mixer/blender meaning there will be two 'knobs/wheels to fiddle with, one for the volume and the other the blend (how much UST as to how much SBT)

My Gibson was recently repaired and, thanks to my tech, we stayed pretty much OEM. It has one of the original Fishman VTB ( Volume Treble Bass ) under saddle systems. The new piezo is a 6 crystal instead of one long crystal.
Thanks Wiley. It sounds like you know a bit about this yourself. I checked out Doug's site. There is a lot of useful information there. Unfortunately his test of my pickup (Fishman F! Analog) is on a nylon string guitar. Mine is steel. I am going to get his book a learn more about all this. It almost sounds like I need to have someone retrofit my guitar or trade it in on something else. In the meantime, I am playing with the UST and an external Shure SM57 mic. I might be able to make that work. Thanks again for your help.

Bill

fjeanmur

Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:23 pm

willem wrote:
Yes, I played my friends guitar and he played mine,I never knowed my guitar sounds so well and his one so bad.. B) :laugh:

W.

Funny, Wilhem. I just hope your friend doesn't read the Forum! :laugh: :laugh:

michelew

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:14 am

willem wrote:

W.
Willem,

It's a good thing it wasn't the other way around. :)

M

wiley

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic