Standard notation or tabs?

cavi

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:14 pm

when I was a kid and I started learning guitar, I learned standard notation, and honestly tabs were not really available then. I then went for a long period of time without playing, and when I returned tabs were everywhere and I started playing, but after awhile I found that I was not making enough progress because I was attempting to learn too many things all at once, so I started talking classical guitar lessons where I was knocked back done to level one to try and correct many bad habits and inefficiencies. One of the things that was banned was tabs. I do understand the reasoning, since the reality is that it is near impossible to get the correct timing form tabs alone. Anyway, now two years latter I find myself wanting to play some other sheet music that has both standard and tabs. While I know I should stay clear of the tabs I find that I sometimes become lazy, mainly for stuff above the first position. I guess i could use the tabs to initiall learn the stuff then switch, but will I have the will power?

What do most of you do?

sandysue

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi Cavi

I too started with classical guitar using standard notation myself many years ago. Then I just stopped playing guitar for a long time because I was too busy. When I came back to guitar 4+ years ago Neil had the standard notation and tabs on the same page. I love it. I can use both in combination, giving me added information when I'm learning a new song. It's great to use everything at your disposal to learn. Tabs are just another part of the big picture, and something else at your disposal to help you learn to play your favorite songs. Guitarists play in alternate tunings all of the time, so nothing is really standard anymore. I think it's ok to embrace change. :)

Sandy

marshola

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:32 pm

For guitar tunes I like having both tab and standard notation because the tab gives me the original finger positions, which are sometimes necessary to have your hand in the right place for the next measures. If I don't like the fingering I can reconstruct it a little, making sure my hand is in place for what comes next. I play a of of fiddle tunes and if there is tab, it is usually for the mandolin, so I have to use the standard notation. If a few notes are difficult to finger because it was written for another instrument I'll change a couple of notes because some of these tunes are pretty quick and unlike classical music, improvising is allowed. I'm sure the violin player would do the same for a guitar tune.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic