Re String?

willem

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:17 pm

wrsomers wrote:
Well let's try to get this "highjacked" thread back on track :) I just put some Martin MM11 Retro strings on my D28, just to see if I would like them. They are monel (nickel alloy) and touted by Martin to give the guitar a more woody mellow sound.

When I first put them on, I didn't like them; mainly because they sound a lot different than phosphor/bronze and the sound was foreign to me. But after several days, I have to say that I like them a lot. There is definitely a more woody, mellow tone. Also they are much easier to fret than the phosphor/bronze strings. They bend easily. I can bend D# to E on the 2nd string using only my pinky finger; usually I'd have to use 2 fingers to do that bend. One drawback: if you press hard on the strings they will go sharp easily (that's probably one of the reasons I didn't like them at first as I tend to press harder than I need to).

The sustain is great and I hear a moderate amount of overtones. I've heard they don't go well with Taylor guitars; probably because Taylors have a brighter tone.

Anyway, if you're looking to experiment, I'd suggest you give them a try. Approximately $7.50 USD.

Bill
" a more woody, mellow sound"??

I always wonder why searching for a sound,, can you tell? How are the vocals with your new sound?

Willem

wrsomers

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:24 pm

willem wrote:

I always wonder why searching for a sound,, can you tell? How are the vocals with your new sound?

Willem[/quote]

Willem,
Sounds and tastes are hard to describe in words. Woody and mellow seem to work in this case. It's sort of like wine descriptions, you can use different words but actually it all comes down to this...do you or don't you like it?

I don't think my vocals are any different because of the difference in string tone. I'm working on Paul Simon's "Song For The Asking" using the Retro strings. When I post the finished product, I'll let you be the judge.

Bill

willem

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:03 pm

wrsomers wrote:
willem wrote:

Willem
Willem,
Sounds and tastes are hard to describe in words. Woody and mellow seem to work in this case. It's sort of like wine descriptions, you can use different words but actually it all comes down to this...do you or don't you like it?

I don't think my vocals are any different because of the difference in string tone. I'm working on Paul Simon's "Song For The Asking" using the Retro strings. When I post the finished product, I'll let you be the judge.

Bill[/quote]

Thats a great short song, pity it was the end of a great and lovely era

Willem

edit: It would be a great lesson too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic