Re String?

tjwatson10167

Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:38 pm

So...Its Saturday Night and I have time to restring my Martin MC-68, Enjoy a bit of Tequila, and play some new bright strings. Whats your remedy for a restring,,,,,

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:11 am

A Saturday night (or a Sunday afternoon) sounds good to me (maybe Federer is playing in some big match somewhere so the TV is on) ! I will take time to clean the guitar to and put some Gibson Pump Polish on too and then I'll enjoy an hour or so of clean and bright strings playing with a nice glass of something too, for sure... so we have similar rituals :-)

Chris

auntlynnie

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:05 am

Whenever I have the time, I put on an old B&W movie - usually I restring a couple of guitars at the same time.

And a hard Root Beer doesn't hurt either.

Lynn

willem

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:54 am

Oh that reminds me to restring a guitar and enjoy the bright sound,, but I bring it to the luthier cos I need a totally good setup in order of my tuning (a whole step down).

W.

thereshopeyet

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Willem Wrote:
I need a totally good setup in order of my tuning (a whole step down).
I've never got my head around tuning down a guitar (Equally from standard tuning).
Less tension on the strings, easier to play but......

Doesn't that then mean, with respect to playing with others, your guitar would sound off ( lower) ?

So what are all the advantages / disadvantages for tuning down half, Whole or 1.5 steps ?

If the primary reason was to make the guitar easier to play, would that be considered bad practice rather than persevering with
the string tensions of Standard Tuning ?

Dermot

:ohmy:

daryl

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:43 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Willem Wrote:
I need a totally good setup in order of my tuning (a whole step down).
I've never got my head around tuning down a guitar.
Slacker strings, easier to play but......

Doesn't that then mean, with respect to playing with others, your guitar would sound off ( lower) ?

Dermot

:ohmy:
Yes, but if his guitar is tuned down a whole step, all he would need to do is put a capo on the 2nd fret and he'd be right in tune again.

thereshopeyet

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:50 pm

Daryl

Thanks..... that was quick :ohmy: :P

We cross posted.... I edited my question .... :S !

I take your point, so he may use the capo on fret 2 putting the guitar back in tune.
So here, the primary reason would be to advantage of less tension .... i.e. easier to play ?

To help me gain a fuller understanding are there any other advantages / disadvantages.

Dermot

Daryl Wrote:
Yes, but if his guitar is tuned down a whole step, all he would need to do is put a capo on the 2nd fret and he'd be right in tune again.

daryl

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Dermot, If the guitar is tuned down a whole step, the capo would need to go on the 2nd fret. If it's only tuned down a half step, then the capo would go on the 1st fret in order to get back to "standard" tuning.

There may be other reasons for tuning down, but string tension and play-ability are the only reasons I can think of. I'm sure smarter people will chime in shortly.

thereshopeyet

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Daryl

Sure I got that.... Fret 1 = 1 step, Fret 2 = 2 Steps etc.

I have a bad habit of posting and editing too, I did it again :ohmy: :woohoo:

Thanks

:laugh: :laugh:

So, If the primary reason was to make the guitar easier to play, would that be considered bad practice rather than persevering with
the string tensions of Standard Tuning ?

Other Possible Reasons ...... but I'm not sure :blush:

1. Want a specific sound.

2. Match Vocals.... but I think that's more to do with choosing the correct key and possible use of the capo.

daryl

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:14 pm

I suppose a purist might frown upon tuning a guitar down and then using a capo to get back to standard tuning.

I actually have a guitar tuned like that right now, because McCartney's "Yesterday" was done with the guitar tuned down a hole step and played in "G" (when in actuality it sounded like he was playing in "F" if you understand what I'm trying to say). So, I guess that's another reason to tune the guitar down....it makes it easier to play certain songs.

So, I've left my guitar tuned down a whole step (so I can play 'Yesterday') but I capo the 2nd fret if I want to play along with something in standard tuning.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic