Pick Frustration!!

willem

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:57 pm

msdnman wrote:
There is still some wrist movement but not nearly as much. I have some Gorilla Snot and that seems to work good, I just don't want to become dependent on it to strum well. If at someones house and they have a guitar I want to be able to pick it up and play with the crutch of snot or tape.
if you strummed a song and after that you want to fingerpick a song do you have snot on your thumb or finger?

Willem

thereshopeyet

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:06 pm

msdnman wrote:
I want to be able to pick it up and play with the crutch of snot or tape.
Don't be put off by the crutch !!!

Gorilla Snot you can always tuck back in your nose and recycle !!

:laugh: :laugh:

msdnman

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:26 pm

Yes you do, that's something I don't like about it.

spinland

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:43 am

Great thread! SO much goodness in these forums.

So, as expected, I'm feeling this pain. I was just asking Sandy about the pick Neil recommended, based on her mention in her last FotW lesson. It sounds similar to this model that I've been trying this week:

Dunlop 471R3S Max-Grip Jazz III, Black "Stiffo" 1.38mm

Since I want to experiment with various types, and Ness recently mentioned she favors a thinner pick, I'm also giving these a try:

Dunlop 449P.60 Max-Grip Nylon Standard, Light Gray, .60mm

I'm finding that the smaller size of the Jazz III is more of a help than a hindrance, and that the thickness is fine once I start building a feel for attack velocity. The .60 ones are larger and I'm not liking how "flopsy" they feel.

Several of the links upstream seem no longer to work, anyone have more current suggestions for we dewy-eyed n00bs to audition?

Mark

wiley

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:50 pm

spinland

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks, wiley! I just recorded my first full song with vocals (waiting for the upload right now so I can post), and the damned pick kept squirming around and I almost lost it once. You'll see me grinning and shaking my head when the distraction gets me to flub a few times.

Just went to the V-Pick site and ordered their starter pack. I'll keep you posted! :side:

Mark

Edited to add: I also ordered a micro fiber cloth (or two) to have handy as well. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic