Pick Frustration!!

msdnman

Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:43 pm

I am a finger picker and just recently started using a flat pick for strumming. The dang thing either slips out of my hand or turns sideways when strumming, with the point of it pointing towards the neck. I've tried holding it tighter but everything tightens up, wrist, shoulder, etc... Are there any tips anyone can give me, maybe a particular pick that will help me? A different way to hold the pick maybe? I am currently trying to use 1.0MM Dunlop Max-Grip picks.

Thanks,
Michael

daryl

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:01 pm

I had the exact same problem. The damn pick just rotated in my fingers. No matter which pick I tried or how I held the pick. Until I tried Gorilla Snot and now the pick stays right where its supposed to. If you try it, just remember that a little snot goes a long way. Use it sparingly. Good luck.

unclewalt

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:20 pm

tombo1230

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Just incase you think Daryl is at the windup here it is: ;) :)

I agree with Uncle Walt, it just comes good when your not looking.

Tom N.

msdnman

Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Thank you all!! I will definitely try the snot and continue fighting through this so I don't become dependent on it!!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:38 pm

I feel your pain! Just spent a year and a half getting used to using a pick and it still rotates in my fingers a little but I think I have it mostly tamed. And yeah, now I have an E-guitar, I can confirm its easier on the pick that the acoustic.

MarkM

Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:43 am

Eventually the pick will stay where you want it. Just like everything else, it will take a bit of muscle memory. Not too tight or your attack on the strings will be too much... not too light or it will just fall out. Try these picks for acoustic as they tend to stay in place quite well. Must be the material.

I've tried many over the years and really like these. They get better the more you use them as well. Also another tip is try scoring/scratching the pick a bit where your fingers will go. This will help as well.

Good luck.

Mark

So Chris what "E-Guitar" did you get?

Lavallee

Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:44 am

You can also try the Snarling Dogs Brain picks (available at least in the US at Guitar Center)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-p ... nd-tin-box

Zoom on the green pick, they are pretty solid.

However whatever pick you use, you need to work on the flexibility of the wrist. If you use only your fingers to give the angle of attack (instead of bending your wrist), it is very difficult to give less pressure on the pick and to make it stick to your fingers. Maybe working on the strumming amplitude , hence forcing your wrist to bend more will help lowering the pressure on the pick in your fingers

Marc

michelew

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:28 am

MarkM wrote:
Eventually the pick will stay where you want it. Just like everything else, it will take a bit of muscle memory. Not too tight or your attack on the strings will be too much... not too light or it will just fall out. Try these picks for acoustic as they tend to stay in place quite well. Must be the material.

I've tried many over the years and really like these. They get better the more you use them as well. Also another tip is try scoring/scratching the pick a bit where your fingers will go. This will help as well.

Good luck.

Mark

So Chris what "E-Guitar" did you get?
Mark that's my go to pick too. For me it's the sound rather than the feel so much.

I'm primarily a fingerpicker too. I way prefer to strum with my nails as well. I have a few old threads around from when I was trying to find the perfect pick. If you want to read any of them search "pick-y" from more than a year ago. I received some good advice from people then, including advice about some textured picks.

Neil has a great tip on how to hold a pick. I had to relearn how to hold a pick when joining TG. But it is worth doing. My pick doesn't rotate. But... I sometimes grate my knuckle so I'm still doing something wrong.

Watch Neil's tip and good luck. http://www.totallyguitars.com/howto/1/3 ... ing-a-pick

Michele

willem

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:11 pm

Yes it can bring some frustration, I tryed many things, double side tape, holes in it, violin rosin and a lot of brands or types, also bend it a bit (hollow) , but the more you use and try it, the more it will come,, unclewalt and Marc there comments are very useful, I only use now Jim Dunlops (.60mm).

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic