Recommendations: Sharing sound files - What do you use?

michelew

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:00 am

Are you someone who shares audio files and video files with people? If so I'd love to hear about your experiences. Naturally I'm not talking about burning it onto a CD or some other physical device like a thumb drive; but remote sharing. (Yes... Of course snail mail is always an option too :) )

What programs (etc) do you use?

What have you used before, that you wouldn't bother with any more?

What do you recommend and why?

I currently use Dropbox which works well and just emailing .mp4 files. Has anyone used SoundCloud? Would you recommend it or any other program /approach over Dropbox?

I'm looking forward to learning more from those of you who are more familiar with this area than me.

Thanks in advance.

Michele

jayswett

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:50 am

I wish I had enough technical know how to give you some good advice, but I don't. Dropbox is what I use, and I'm sure your understanding of that that platform far exceeds mine. I will watch this thread carefully as I have a alot to learn.

daryl

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:32 am

I too use dropbox. But I sometimes find the interface a little confusing. Perhaps it's just old age. :-(

Another option might be Microsoft's OneDrive. I've never used it. And I imagine that Apple has a similar sort of thing with iCloud.

willem

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:38 am

First of all it is email but if it is larger then 10 mb I use onedrive,, dropbox is a third but removed it from my windows pc,, most I use onedrive.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:43 am

Hi Shel

I too use Dropbox mostly. Its usually the quickest way. I sometimes am not sure in whos Dropbox I am when sharing.... but it always seems to work out. Anyway, I have loads of space on my Dropbox.

I also am on Soundcloud and like to post audio files there when I don't want to make a video. I usually save higher quality wave fomat there.... videos on YT are MP4 at best.

Chris

michelew

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Jay, Daryl, Willem and Chris,

Thanks for responding guys.

Chris, you've just unravelled a mystery for me that's better getting on my goat. So to speak. :)

The tracks always sound better when I listen to them in GarageBand itself. They always sound different when I export them to iTunes and YouTube; volume levels seem change too. I've just looked in GB and there's an uncompressed export option and an option to export to Soundcloud. I'll check them out.

Thanks.

M

tombo1230

Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi Michelle,

if you need to send a file to someone to view or use, then why don't you use We Transfer, it has a free version which will accommodate any of your files back and forth to Bill for your Time Zombie videos etc.
You have a max of 2GB at a time which should be plenty. This is like emailing, but with a 2GB limit.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic