John Lennon Cold Spring Harbor NY May 1980

cosmicmechanic

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:58 pm

wrsomers wrote:
Chris,
The second video of John and the family at Cold Spring Harbor shows him sporting that beard. The video was taken in 1980, the same year the video that started this thread was made and the same year he was shot by Mark David Chapman (December 8, 1980)

Bill
For what it's worth, here's another indication that John probably had grown his beard out at the time:
In early June 1980, Lennon joined a crew of 5 strangers for a 5-day (600 mile) sailing voyage from Rhode Island to Bermuda on a 43-foot schooner named "Megan Jaye".

John often added scribbled caricatures of himself on postcards and such, as he did when wrote an entry into the log of the vessel.
Below is the log entry ("Hank" was the vessel's captain, "T.C" is Tyler Coneys, the owner of the sailboat).
The doodle shows John with a beard.

In late July, he returned to New York from Bermuda, to work on "Double Fantasy",
and he surely didn't want to look like a throwback hippie during the period of recording and promoting the album.

So, he got a shave and a haircut ("2 bits!" :) ).

[Edit:] I should include the source of this image. It's on page 371 of the book "The John Lennon Letters".

Pierre

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:44 am

We bring you a news update on the evolution of John Lennon's beard in 1980.

As mentioned in our preceding post, it seems quite probable that Mr. Lennon sported a serious growth of fuzz in late May and early June 1980.

We have breaking news ... our sources inform us that he definitely shaved the beard off while in Bermuda, BEFORE returning to New York !

We submit the evidence:

- A portrait commissioned by Mr. Lennon while in Bermuda. His family had joined him there, where they stayed for close to 2 months.
He is shown WITHOUT a beard.

- A thank-you note to the artist, penned by Mr. Lennon. The doodle of himself DOES NOT have a beard , whereas the doodle in the sailing vessel's log entry HAS a beard

- A link to the source of the portrait info: http://beatlephotoblog.com/tag/bermuda

CosmicDetective will stay on the scene, and keep you posted as events develop !

wrsomers

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:52 am

Great detective work Pierre!

Bill

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:06 pm

wrsomers wrote:
Great detective work Pierre!
Bill
All in a day's non-work, Bill ! :)

I hadn't noticed just how much info is on the link I posted previously.

It contains many touching and interesting blog entries describing Lennon's experiences regarding that stay in Bermuda.

I gobbled it up ! Here it is again:
http://beatlephotoblog.com/tag/bermuda

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic