Wobble

dottmcse85630

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Need some advice on how to best hold my guitar.
When I play a moderate to fast song the guitar neck will wobble making it difficult to hit the next chord shape properly. I've tried different tensions with the fretting hand but that can have an adverse effect on the chord sounding clean.
I have tried leveraging my strumming arm a bit but that takes away from a relaxed strum.
I have 4 of the sacred instruments and I have the same issue with each of them when playing.

Perhaps this problem will work itself out as I progress but any tips or pointers?

Thanks
Dennis Ott :unsure:

TGNesh

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi Dennis,

Great question!

Assuming you play the guitar right handed, on which leg do you hold the guitar?

Edit: This might already be very useful http://www.totallyguitars.com/free-guit ... ssons#song Part 3: 'Holding The Guitar'

dekotaj

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:13 am

Hi Dennis.

I would like to help.But I have the same trouble sometimes.Like Miss Nassa it hard to say with out seeing you play.So what seems to cause my trouble is when I'm ( setting ) with the guitar above my center. This makes the guitar neck push away from my body.With my backside below the bout of the guitar my right arm kinda hangs over the guitar making me pull the guitar heavy to my body.Just the gravity of my arm pulling the guitar in and making the neck move away, and if I let go to changes chords the guitar becomes a sling-shoot.I've notched my biggest trouble is when I'm descending back up the neck.Think about standing and playing how your right arm just hangs and don't pull the guitar.With out seeing you play it hard to say if you have the same trouble that I have.But a wobbly neck is a killer.Best of luck with it and your guitar playing.

Kevin

dottmcse85630

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Self training is definitely a drawback of on-line learning. Miss the feedback of an instructor.
Yes I am right handed, make sure I have the curve of the guitar resting on my right thigh. Try to pull the guitar in tight and then relax.

What I notice is when the fretting hand releases pressure to change chords is when I get the wobble.

dottmcse85630

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:39 pm

WOW! This was a very helpful lesson.

www.totallyguitars.com/free-guitar-less ... ssons#song Part 3: 'Holding The Guitar'

pbraun

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:09 pm

I find it difficult only when I am wearing long sleeves, I never have an issue in short sleeves. I envy those that can play with long sleeves, jackets and the like! My guitar would most like fall to the floor if I tried that. I also usually play sitting down, haven't got the hang of a strap yet.
Pete

dottmcse85630

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 am

I have found success with using a footrest. A lot less wobble.
Using the footrest with my right foot (I am right handed) resting the guitar on my right knee seems to work best for me. Tried the "Classical" manner that Neil described in the video but that seems very wonky for me.

As far a sleeves, I too have issues with long sleeves not only being restrictive but at times brushing the strings, could be a cool effect but I'm not so lucky.

On another note I resisted for month joining TG but I have kick myself for waiting. Just the few months I have been here has improved my playing.
So thanks Neil, thanks Vanessa.

Dennis Ott

willem

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:04 am

dottmcse85630 wrote:
Using the footrest with my right foot (I am right handed) resting the guitar on my right knee seems to work best for me. Tried the "Classical" manner that Neil described in the video but that seems very wonky for me.

Dennis Ott
that works for me too and looks cool right? And the head/ fretboard a bit to the sky, also relax all the things your doing.

Willem

TGNesh

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:08 am

Awesome, thanks for the update! Glad you found a way that works for you. :)

dottmcse85630 wrote:

As far a sleeves, I too have issues with long sleeves not only being restrictive but at times brushing the strings, could be a cool effect but I'm not so lucky.

On another note I resisted for month joining TG but I have kick myself for waiting. Just the few months I have been here has improved my playing.
So thanks Neil, thanks Vanessa.

Dennis Ott

dottmcse85630

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Update: Been trying the "Classical Method" explained in a video by Neil. Seems to have better stability with the neck overall. A bit of an adjustment getting used to the finger placement on the chords, not too bad, just a bit different.
Truth be told! I think this is a Neil and Vanessa ploy to have a newbie guitarist exercise muscle groups that were NEVER intended to be exercised. Wait a minute perhaps I am not holding my mouth just right, maybe that is in a lesson further down the road?

Anyhow techniques I have leaned here have dramatically improved my laughable performance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic