What's inspiring you musically? What are you up to?

michelew

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi everyone!

It's Feburary already. How did that happen? ;) I must be having fun in 2016. :)

So what's everyone up to? What's inspiring your musical selves? What are you playing, learning, listening to? Who's performing or being inspired by great performers? Who's working on a new project that you'd like to tell us about?

I'm sure there are a million cool and inspiring things happening out there in the community. Want to share? Don't be shy.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your musical adventures.

Michele

willem

Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 am

I am very busy with the up coming big show my choir, singin in a choir i see it like a sport. (Fitnesh)

Guitarwise! I found a friend that sings on my acompanniment, thats fun, it are most strumming songs or focused strumming, now working on a fingerpicked one. "Streets of London" and found out that it's a very important tab/lesson Neil brought to us.

songs that inspire us are from artists like Neil Young, Beatles, Rolling Stones , Eagles.

Hey we are over 60 years old!! :laugh: B) :woohoo:

Willem

tombo1230

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:35 am

willem wrote:
I am very busy with the up coming big show my choir, singin in a choir i see it like a sport. (Fitnesh)

Guitarwise! I found a friend that sings on my acompanniment, thats fun, it are most strumming songs or focused strumming, now working on a fingerpicked one. "Streets of London" and found out that it's a very important tab/lesson Neil brought to us.

songs that inspire us are from artists like Neil Young, Beatles, Rolling Stones , Eagles.

Hey we are over 60 years old!! :laugh: B) :woohoo:

Willem
That's great Willem. I have been playing and singing Streets of London for a little while now. Love that song!

I am also playing Jim Croce's Lovers Cross. Neils fingerpicking solo Hallelujah! and Dan Fogelbergs Leader of the Band. Also learning the fretboard
and some lead.

Tom N.

daryl

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:12 am

I'm working on two more Beatles songs. You know my typical rhythm, bass, and lead efforts. I've also started uploading my better recordings into soundcloud (because it offers better audio quality than youtube).

If you want to check it out, here's my channel:

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:13 am

Yeah February already! Tempus fugit! Obviously, I am into things electric so working with the delay and overdrive pedals on songs like Story in your Eyes, Ness' Woodstock, and Shadow's songs like Wonderful Land. Also still on Don't fear the Reaper, Nexus and repeating songs so as not to loose the touch (New Horizons for example). Also looking at some theory and fingerboard stuff but don't tell anyone! And after Ness thought my BSG was a bit hard to play, I shall be taking it in for a set up and will lower the strings as far as possible and Die Gittarre do this for free on the first service so that's cool. Just put new elixirs on, so will wait a bit! Also trying to get my sister and Miss Ale to record themselves so there can be some more collabs.... we shall see!

dottmcse85630

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:43 pm

WOW great question! After decades of wanting to play the guitar I finally did so almost two years ago, so I have a long list of songs that inspire and I desire to play.
Rolling Stones for me are the 'Root" of rock. My favorite is Angie, which I have down but at a very slow pace. Lots of other Stones tunes too.
My list of inspiration:
Eagles Don Henley (Heart of the Matter a fabulous song) Beatles Neil Young Steely Dan
Cracker The Refreshments

But I must confess my real inspiration comes from Sarah McLachlan, yes sounds weird but I love her and her music. Been a real inspiration for me the past two years.

Here on TG I have found some really great nuggets.
Maggie May Southern Cross Summer Breeze Anticipation Imagine Taxi (a tough one for me).

I have noticed my playing has leaped since joining TG, still frustrating I am not playing better much faster! I should be at Angus Young, Jimmy Page or Yngwie Malmsteen level. Well that's kinda lofty for now.

michelew

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for telling us about your projects; great songs. I'm hoping you'll all record something at some point and share your hard work and the fun you're having with the community. That would be cool.

Willem - have fun with your choir and great that you've found someone else to perform with. :)

Daryl - I will absolutely be checking out your channel when I have some time to give it the focus it deserves.

Tom - cool songs and learning objectives.

Chris - fun, fun, fun - I'd love to see where you take your e-guitar adventures. Good luck with getting the action on your BSG just right.

Dott - don't forget to post a video for review. It's the best feature of this site and you'll be amazed at how useful Neil's and Vanessa's reviews are. And Sarah McL is awesome; one of my absolute favorite artists.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for asking, Michele ...
After close to a year of having to set my priorities elsewhere, I've recently started up playing guitar more seriously again.

Y'know when you write your own name and it looks funny ?
In recent months, that's been the case when playing guitar: everything is "what?" or "why?".
I've found myself in a somewhat larval state, rediscovering things that had seemed obvious.
... But it makes me wonder if maybe I did not understand some concepts as much as I had thought, after all.

It's this kind of time that makes me feel even more open to appreciate simple musical and lyrical genius.

Quiz question: Who wrote the song "City of New Orleans" ?
Probable answer: Arlo Guthrie

WRONG ANSWER !

Ever heard of STEVE GOODMAN ? A FRIGGIN' GENIUS who left us way before he should have (1984).
I only discovered him lately.
His story, music, and performance energy are ALL SO WORTH EXPLORING. Here are a few samples ...

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks for the Steve Goodman links Pierre, I was aware he wrote THAT song but I had actually never heard him play before.

TGNesh

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:39 am

What's inspiring me.....?

Well teaching here at TG makes me working out songs obviously which always leads to more songs. And coincedently I bump into even more songs......and well....by now, the list is long :blink: , but since I'm releasing only 2 lessons a month (I surely hope that that will change soon!) it takes quite a while before I get to most of them. (a few songs on my list are actually mentioned in this thread)

So in short, I guess teaching inspires me. :) Also my students bring up new songs, so they inspire as well.

So what am I up to?.......haha, working out lessons! :laugh: :P

Oh and I have 2 collaborations planned, so..... you'll see. B)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic