A guitarist's essential song list

fjeanmur

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Hey all,

As I was rewatching a FOTW lesson today, I heard Neil comment that "House at Pooh Corner" is not on his list of essential songs. But since I have been backtracking lately to try to get even out some skills I was wondering, do we have a list of essential songs that we could refer to for guidance and/or inspirationa? I know I have heard Neil talk about these songs, but for the life of me, I couldn't put together a list.

if we don't have such a list, to get this started, I believe that "I'd Love to Change the World" is on there for the picking practice. What other songs from our library can be added and what is the skill being taught? I would love to see such a list so that I could work on these songs as my goal for the year. Would anybody like to contribute?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

wrsomers

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:07 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Hey all,

As I was rewatching a FOTW lesson today, I heard Neil comment that "House at Pooh Corner" is not on his list of essential songs. But since I have been backtracking lately to try to get even out some skills I was wondering, do we have a list of essential songs that we could refer to for guidance and/or inspirationa? I know I have heard Neil talk about these songs, but for the life of me, I couldn't put together a list.

if we don't have such a list, to get this started, I believe that "I'd Love to Change the World" is on there for the picking practice. What other songs from our library can be added and what is the skill being taught? I would love to see such a list so that I could work on these songs as my goal for the year. Would anybody like to contribute?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Hi Jean,
For finger picking/travis picking practice, 4 songs come to mind almost immediately:
Landslide
Dust In The Wind
The Boxer
Don't Think Twice

Picking Practice...hmm
"I'd Love to Change The World" is a good one
Also:
"Catch The Wind" is really great because it has both focused picking and strumming with alternating base

That's all I can think of quickly.

Bill

daryl

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:28 pm

I've heard Neil mention "The House of the Rising Sun" and (I think) "Windy and Warm" and maybe "Freight Train". But someone way more knowledgeable than I will come along shortly......

fjeanmur

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi Bill,

"Dust in the Wind" I have down, but the others I wouldn't have thought of although I did give "The Boxer" a glance, but don't know why I didn't try it. "Catch the Wind"--that sounds like a good one. Thanks for the input.

auntlynnie

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Jean,
This is a really good topic.
I'm just sad that I don't know a single song that anyone mentioned, except for Freight Train.
:(
Lynn

daryl

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:18 pm

I think Neil also recommends "Don't Fear the Reaper".

fjeanmur

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:04 pm

HeyDaryl,

Thanks for the input. "House of the Rising Sun" is great for basic fingerpicking so it belongs on this list. "Windy and Warm" is great, but a lot more difficult. I just wish I knew how to organize them according to their challenges or what can be learned from them.

Lynn,

These are all (I think) songs from our library. In recent months, I've been moving away from the instrumentals (although I love them) to try to even out some other skills and I think I am getting somewhere. But these level 4-5 move much mor quickly and often I'm wondering where to go next, so that's why I decided to pose the question. Bill's suggestion of "Catch the Wind" was great. Becoming more accurate with hitting base notes is something that I need. :)

willem

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi Jean

when I came here I could play "house of the rising sun" but I learned here sustaning the notes ( the fingers stays as long as possible on the fretboard), also after that you can play "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen in no time.

I 'm glad I learned "blackbird" by the Beatles but thought by Neil (good for your thumb) "Norwegian wood" by the Beatles is also a good one if you want to pick out melody notes ( with plectrum). I think the skill helped me to learn " you got to hide your love away" also 3/4 time and a bit focused strumming.

Have a look at "streets of London" Ralph Mctell,, very important tab and pickin skill ( a sort of travis pickin and put in a few melody notes).

My head is empty now but when it comes to memory I will come back here.

Just some ideas

Willem

willem

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:26 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
HeyDaryl,

Thanks for the input. "House of the Rising Sun" is great for basic fingerpicking so it belongs on this list. "Windy and Warm" is great, but a lot more difficult. I just wish I knew how to organize them according to their challenges or what can be learned from them.

Lynn,

These are all (I think) songs from our library. In recent months, I've been moving away from the instrumentals (although I love them) to try to even out some other skills and I think I am getting somewhere. But these level 4-5 move much mor quickly and often I'm wondering where to go next, so that's why I decided to pose the question. Bill's suggestion of "Catch the Wind" was great. Becoming more accurate with hitting base notes is something that I need. :)
hitting bass notes try "teach your childeren"

Willem

jayswett

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:11 am

I would add "Hey Joe" by Hendrix. Simple chord progression, yet multiple opportunities for embellishments, lead play.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic