Rythmically challenged Knucklehead needs strumming help

dottmcse85630

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:41 pm

Yes I admit that I am ultra-rhythmically challenged and also a late in life learner. The odds are stacked against me.
What I am struggling with are some of the strumming suggestions that Neil has in the lessons. Yes he does explain and slow them down but I just can't get the right sound, rhythm the feel. For one example, the lesson "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield that simple song is making me tear my hair out.
Can't quite seem to get the quickness out of my wrist to keep the %$#$ "pattern" revolving correctly.

Believe it or not I have the rock and folk "pattern' down ok, I think. I've watched the strum lessons and I can progress thru Lyin' Eyes DDUUD really well (Ha for me really well) as well as a few others.
So here is the question can anyone suggest some help? Perhaps guide me to a lesson or two that might help with the For What It's Worth song? And others.

Help is much appreciated, maybe prayers too! HA

Thanks
Dennis Ott

michelew

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:45 am

Dennis,

The best way for you to get suggestions to help you improve from Neil, Vanessa and the community is to post a short video. Maybe you could play a little of what you're feeling comfortable with and then show what you're having trouble with.

Michele

willem

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:08 am

Maybe this way rhythmically..(not sure but try it),Neils talks a bout 2 measer frase I put in one..

TGNesh

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:58 am

It's true Dennis, if you get a chance it'd be very helpful if you showed us what's happening for you. It could be a very easy fix.

However, what you could try out first is the 'ballad strum'. That should get you a basic pattern first. (don't get me wrong, lots of room to change it up in that one).

Let me know if that takes you a step further or not.

Ness

wiley

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:02 am

daryl

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:17 am

What Wiley said. Relax......your arm and wrist and shoulder. If you can, slow the song down (find the song on YouTube and then go into settings and change the playback speed to .5) and see if you can find the "groove" at that speed.

dottmcse85630

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks everyone, I'll work with the advice and then upload a vid later. At that point you can advise me to give up the guitar and take up the harmonica or accordion.

fjeanmur

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:01 pm

daryl wrote:
What Wiley said. Relax......your arm and wrist and shoulder. If you can, slow the song down (find the song on YouTube and then go into settings and change the playback speed to .5) and see if you can find the "groove" at that speed.
ti

Daryl,

Is it possible to change the speed of YouTube videos? I just looked in "settings," but I didn't see anything. How would you do this?

daryl

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:28 pm

I'm on Windows 10 using Firefox. Find a video you want to watch and then hit the "gear" icon in the video window on the bottom near the "display mode" icons. You should see "speed" as an option.

This works in Edge too.

This doesn't appear to be there in Chrome.

I can't test IE.

willem

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:31 pm

daryl wrote:
I'm on Windows 10 using Firefox. Find a video you want to watch and then hit the "gear" icon in the video window on the bottom near the "display mode" icons. You should see "speed" as an option.

This works in Edge too.

This doesn't appear to be there in Chrome.

I can't test IE.

I have a app on my samsung tablet (videoder) I can download any you tube video and play it back in my video player and adjust the speed ( slowdown),

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic