Dream a little dream - what's your musical alter ego doing right now in some parallel universe?

michelew

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I put a stupid hypothetical to you all in the name of what if. So it's about time I made you scratch your head again right? Though perhaps some of you will just ask "what the?!? What planet IS she on?" ;)

If you're anything like me, there are a million things that you'd like to do if you just had the freedom, time and resource to do them. The time I spend working, recovering from working and preparing for my working week takes up waaaaaay too much of my life. I've been dreaming of the things that I might be doing right now if I'd chosen a different path; what if I'd zigged instead of zagged. :) If I'd pursued a musical career, what might that have looked like?

Knowing what I know now, I think I would have loved to have gotten into sound engineering and production. Of course that would have required me to get a bunch of skills including being able to play something well. But regardless it would have been an interesting ride. Being immerse in music and people's creativity would have been great fun. Imagine the cool people I might have met and the cool musical projects I might have been involved in. :)

So here's a scenario for you. You're 15 (maybe younger - pick an age that works for you), full of passion, enthusiasm and that feeling that you can do anything - you're invincible again. :) the world is your oyster, you have no responsibilities, money's no object and you can pretty much use your time however you like.

What sort of musical life might this capable, fearless and enthusiastic you chose? Would you be up on stage, be a roadie, a music teacher, a music show host, be a musical reporter, a song-writer, a promoter, a maker of instruments? There are endless possibilities. It doesn't matter what you know now, what path would you choose?

Which path would you choose and why? Let your imagination go crazy. Remember you're fearless and capable of ANYTHING. :)

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:45 am

In my alternate universe, it was at 12 years of age (17 would have been too late as in this universe I'd already set myself on a path of sport, sport, sport and I was very happy about that) that someone told me, its ok, your voice is breaking, it will change and you will be able to sing again, here I'll show you how.....

In this universe, I was told, your voice is breaking. That's it. I thought it meant I'll not be able to sing properly again as it happened to me while in the school choir and about to record for radio. So that episode ended all ideas in my mind about music and singing. Sport wasn't even on the horizon. In my alternate universe I went on to sing my heart out, learned music and guitar playing and keyboard early and connected with others and spent a life time performing as a parallel Moody Blue, maybe even hooking up with Justin himself.

So, today, in my alternate universe, I am kicking back with my family, kids and a room full of guitars after another wonderful night in concert and will probably watch soccer on TV a little later wondering what it had been like if i'd only carried on playing way back then....

In the real world, I am at the Swiss National Sport School lecturing to Bachelor students of the University of Bern on squash coaching in a wonderful setting on a wonderful day. Ziging is as good as zaging :)

michelew

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:50 am

Niiiiice one Chris! I can really imagine you doing that.

17... Yep I'll change that. :)

M

Great photo handsome man. :)

daryl

Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:39 am

My alter-ego is a multi-millionaire living on a large oceanfront farm. I don't know how he got all his money but now he spends his time playing music with all sorts of people - famous and not-so-famous. My alter ego posts lots of YouTube video and has a extensive collection of guitars and other musical instruments and plays them all beautifully. He also has a fantastic voice and loves to sing harmonies. In fact, my alter ego lives very much like DARYL Hall:

willem

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:00 pm

First of all I would love having a lesson on ''dream a little dream of me''...

OK, I dream a little dream, as a singer songwriter I will join woodstock and get famous and score hit after hit.

B) :laugh:

michelew

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:33 pm

Hey nice alternate realities guys.

Daryl - nice man-cave. :) I can totally hear you rockin' it out. :)

Willem - Hit after hit, and Woodstock eh, good one :) you might have needed a time machine too, to take that little jump. Maybe you were just a very talented little kid. :) - 1969 - maybe you were a little older than me. :) now THAT would have been a cool gig Willem. :)

BTW - there is a lesson on Dream a Little Dream in the TG library - on ukulele, by the ukulele lady. It's good and fun. As a minimum, there's a chart you could use.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... ream-of-me

So in my alternate reality, I still meet my TG buddies and I'm still a Time Zone Zombie. :woohoo: My TG collaborators are definitely on my list of cool people. Our cool projects just sound even better and are heard by more people ... And boost our bank balances of course. :D

willem

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:55 pm

michelew wrote:
Hey nice alternate realities guys.

Daryl - nice man-cave. :) I can totally hear you rockin' it out. :)

Willem - Hit after hit, and Woodstock eh, good one :) you might have needed a time machine too, to take that little jump. Maybe you were just a very talented little kid. :) - 1969 - maybe you were a little older than me. :) now THAT would have been a cool gig Willem. :)

BTW - there is a lesson on Dream a Little Dream in the TG library - on ukulele, by the ukulele lady. It's good and fun. As a minimum, there's a chart you could use.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... ream-of-me

So in my alternate reality, I still meet my TG buddies and I'm still a Time Zone Zombie. :woohoo: My TG collaborators are definitely on my list of cool people. Our cool projects just sound even better and are heard by more people ... And boost our bank balances of course. :D
I know a bout that lesson, but I really hope Neil does it on guitar thx

michelew

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:51 pm

I hear you Willem.

Actually your post reminds me that in addition to learning a bunch of instruments and audio engineering skills early, I really wish I'd learned to sing early too before I became so self conscious. There's still time of course. :) but... :)

crieniecat

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:23 am

Great question Shel!

Hmmm... What would it be for me...

In my alternate reality lives a woman that had trusted the opinion of her father to be real, instead of him being a parent that was "only" kind and supportive to his daughter, when he said "You sing great and have so much potential, you need to take singing lessons and go for it!"

She has quite a few beautiful and very successful albums on her name by now, whom are co-written and mostly accompanied by some of our other very famous alternative TG celebrities. Amongst them for example, are a famous and very talented singer who agrees on a duet every now and then when not watching soccer.... and a rockstar who nowadays mostly rocks at his own house parties, only for invitees of course.... then a man who's life is totally aligned with the stars and spreads his light on Woodstock amongst other festivals.... oh and another very loved singer, she's a busy type, wondering about life's questions like "what if's" and stuff like that, but when she doesn't tours with her TZZ band, she's always willing to accompany others on various projects.... What they all have in common are of course the great TG teachers with their never disappointing skills and advice to help out, and man! when they also join the album... ouff... even more $$$$katcheng, katcheng, katcheng $$$$

So yes her wealth has grown into some beautiful warm hearted family, friends and cats ;) :lol: , and her excessive amount of money is mostly spend to them and spending quality time together, with lot's of music, love and laughter.... B)

Ow yeah....
Corina.

TGNesh

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:39 am

Hmmm....At that age I was much into performing and having much fun doing that. So yeah, in my alternate universe, I would do the same and would keep going. But of course, we (the band) would've become successful and travel and play huge (and small) concerts all over the world. Playing in front of a big crowd (small crowd too btw, just as much fun! ) who are having a blast, singing along, dancing around, is the ultimate musical rush. At one point, i probably would go solo and hire a band here and there to accompany me when needed.

And I would move to a much warmer place to come home to. ;)

In between touring, I would also start doing guitar camps and do workshops all over the world. I would've loved to share and teach and to bring people together who love what I love, which is simply to play and perform music.

So my alternate ego would be a performer and a teacher, which is not far off from reality. :)

Something like that.... B)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic