Practice makes permanent; how do YOU practice productively?

michelew

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:04 pm

dottmcse85630 wrote:
Here is my method, may be wrong but I am impatient and want to play songs.

During the day I will usually pick out 2-3 songs from my 'bank" of 40 or so to work on that evening. My bank of songs are those I like and really want to become proficient with.
I may also watch or re-watch a lesson on TG just to brush up. If it is a new to me lesson then that may be all that I will work on that evening, for instance "Old Man" tough one for me.
When I get home I try to spend at least 30 minutes and if I am lucky and motivated I will take it to 1.5 hours.

So my mix of songs from my "bank" I will try to mix up easy to more difficult so in my opinion I get a rounded practice.

Now my faults.
Yep I try to play too fast and when the errors start flying I try to slow it down. My reasoning for playing fast or up to tempo is it pushes me to do better.
Secondly is my barre chords! I have a tendency to lay my fingers down at the wrong time. Trying to really watch out how I do it and make sure I do it correctly.
There's many more physical errors I am sure, I just don't notice them yet. One of the greatest difficulties for me is the mental, I want results now and I want to progress much faster than I am doing. Gotta keep tellin' myself this is fun!!!

I agree that relaxing is a must as well as how you hold the guitar. I like Neil's advice on a small footrest.

I must admit that since I have joined TG my speed of learning has really improved. The tutelage of Neil and Ness is just great. I can say that I do play my G chord the way Neil recommends but dang that was a workout to change.

Dennis

Thanks for your response Dennis. Focusing on a few songs at a time is definitely a good way to go.

Dermot - have fun anyway. :)

wiley

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:21 pm

wrsomers

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Wiley wrote:
"Practice, while focused, on the 'correct' ones and let the old ones float on by. Start "anew". Focus cannot happen as you think about what "used" to take place as you try and change it."
Right on Wiley! Another way of saying "stay in the moment" or "you get what you think".

I love using golf analogies. In golf the analogy for the above thinking would be...standing on the tee with water in play, you tell yourself "don't hit it in the water" Guess where the ball goes...yup...kersplash. You want to think about the ball going to your target. A good golfer actually sees that image before the ball is struck.

So I guess what Wiley is saying is: hear the correct musical passage and then let it happen.

Bill

michelew

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:13 pm

Wiley and Bill thanks for your contributions to this discussion. Interesting.

I absolutely believe the brain is plastic. Hell I've learned enough new things and overcome enough obstacles to know I can train my brain. So I'm taking from this that I should adopt a positive approach, think about where I want to go and then go. Well it won't surprise you to know that that is EXACTLY what Vanessa has been telling me to do too.

My practiced errors and bad habits are TOAST! Improvements here I come. :)

Thanks guys. Oh and I'm more of a putt putt sort of person; mini-golf. ;)

M

dekotaj

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 am

Hey Shel.

Practicing productively= I don't no if it is productive,or even a good way to practice. But for me I practice 12 min a day.

Kev

michelew

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Kev,

That's really good to know. So what do you tend to be doing during those 12 minutes?

L

Shel

michelew

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:01 pm

This thread has touched on the importance of focused practice and how to approach it. It has also touched on the importance of reducing stress or tension while you're playing.

Checkout Vanessa's EXCELLENT segment in her latest lesson; Dreadlock Holiday - Part 3: Relax. She discusses the effects that tension has on us as musicians and more importantly how to be aware of it and how to reduce it. Great stuff. Everyone could benefit from watching it.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

M

thereshopeyet

Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:05 am

Michelle

I got it half wrong !
Inbetween blowing harmonica, harmonica practice sucks !!!

Gone for a swim :dry: :ohmy:

Relaxing :S

:ohmy:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dekotaj

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:44 am

michelew wrote:
Kev,

That's really good to know. So what do you tend to be doing during those 12 minutes?

L

Shel

Hey Shel.

Like the songs I have put up here, have been practice pieces. And that's how I practices.Take a song apart. Play just the parts I need to make up the whole song.I can do about 6 songs in 12 min.( give or take.) Times 5 days about 30 songs a week. Not sure how other look at practice.But works for me.

Sure hope you have a blast out west this summer.
Kev

dottmcse85630

Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 pm

Just a follow-up to how I practice.
Been working on California Dreamin' and all I've got to say is Thanks a lot Neil, you're killin' me! :angry:
I've got the Chords the intro and strumming down DDU change DUDU repeat, repeat, repeat.
The screamin' part is I am so slow but getting better little by little.

Anyhow I really like this song and I really appreciate the lesson Neil. I have no idea how you knew I would dwell on this lesson?

Dennis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic