Practice makes permanent; how do YOU practice productively?

michelew

Wed May 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Dennis,

Thanks for giving us more of your practice picture.

There's something you might want to try. Believe it or not, keeping a bit of a video record of your playing is a good way to motivate yourself. You don't need to show it to anyone else, but if you regularly record yourself playing you can go back and check how you were doing last week versus how you're doing now. I'm absolutely sure you're getting better slowly but surely and faster than you think you are. But you may not realise it because you're trying to get to your goal quickly, more quickly. You're probably a little impatient like all of us. And you'd like to be as good as Vanessa and Neil right now. Hell I know I'd like to be. :)

Anyway, try recording yourself each time you play. Then after a little while go back and watch them. My guess is you'll be surprised at the progress you're making without even realising it.

Give it a go. Recording sucks, but if it's just for your own observation it sucks a lot less. Be aware that your playing is likely to suffer as soon as you turn the camera on, so don't judge how well you're doing by the first lot of recordings. You're likely to be nervous even if it's just a record of your progress. It gets easier, especially if you just accept whatever's happening for you at a that time.

If you do give this approach a go, drop in and let us know how you're finding it.

Cheers.

Michele

michelew

Wed May 04, 2016 9:17 pm

dekotaj wrote:
michelew wrote:
Kev,

That's really good to know. So what do you tend to be doing during those 12 minutes?

L

Shel

Hey Shel.

Like the songs I have put up here, have been practice pieces. And that's how I practices.Take a song apart. Play just the parts I need to make up the whole song.I can do about 6 songs in 12 min.( give or take.) Times 5 days about 30 songs a week. Not sure how other look at practice.But works for me.

Sure hope you have a blast out west this summer.
Kev
WOW Kev! That's efficient. Well you've sure got it working.

Yeh I'm really looking forward to camp. It's getting clooooser. :) woo hoo! Ow! I'd better go play something. :) later Bro n

X

Shel

dottmcse85630

Thu May 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Michele thanks that's a great idea. Got my old Flip video right here.
I actually do see progress, albeit not as quickly as I would like.
Been working on California Dreamin' and Sister Golden Hair and my changes/tempo is improving. Biggest getcha spots are the B barre on Sister, had to resort to a non-barre B (ish). With Dreamin' its getting to the F# quick, but slowly it is getting there.

Thanks so much to all for the advice. It sure is nice to have a place to converse.

Dennis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic