String squeaking

willem

Tue May 03, 2016 2:32 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Willem Wrote:
What are double stops?

Link

Stop Stop !! :ohmy: :S

I don't know why it's called a double stop.
The definitions I find on the internet explain that it's a bowed string instrument technique.

From what I gather it's just two notes played simultaneously.
I suppose then a if I slide up to play two notes simultaneously then I'm finishing on a double stop.

Maybe an onsite guitar guru will throw some light on the term Double Stop ?

:huh:

thx, I thought it was, I play them up and down the neck so I found the information playing them across the neck very interesting and use full

Willem/i]

daryl

Tue May 03, 2016 6:32 am

Dennis – I have ej16’s on my guitars. I like your idea of “softening” the calluses to reduce the squeaking. Maybe that way I can get another year out of my strings. ;)

Wiley – Thanks but I don’t think I’ll spring for the $20.00 “lotion”.

Willem & Dermot – Yes, “double stops” are two-notes played simultaneously. Perhaps Neil or Ness will explain why.

TGNeil

Tue May 03, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Gang,

The term really comes from violin playing, referring to simply playing two notes simultaneously. The stops part probably came from referring to playing a non-open note on the fingerboard, stopping the string. On the guitar we might say fretting the string. It has always seemed like a strange definition to me because on the guitar we play multiple notes all the time. It is definitely trickier on the violin. They even branch out into triple and quadruple stops, raking the bow across the strings quickly. What's the big deal? We play sextuple stops all the time.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic