String squeaking

daryl

Sun May 01, 2016 4:58 pm

I am working on a "2nd guitar"part for a particular song that has a LOT of sliding double stops. The guitar part is quite involved and I have been working in sections. I finally got the 1st section in reasonable shape and thought I would record that to evaluate my progress and see what needs tweaking. I was floored when I heard the playback. :-( There was a LOT of string squeaking during the double stop slides. The squeaks happen whether I'm sliding UP the neck or DOWN the neck. And only happens on the wound strings. Does anyone have any suggestions, solutions, tips, or other words of wisdom? Thanks!

dottmcse85630

Sun May 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi Daryl, by faaaaaaar I am no expert but when I bought my Breedlove guitar it came with what I consider cheaper strings. I played them for a while and I did notice a lot of squeaking from the strings.
I changed the strings after 3 months and found a real WOW factor. I really like Elixir Light or Custom Light for tone and playability, just my preference. But an added benefit the squeak goes way down for me.

Dennis

wrsomers

Sun May 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Daryl,
I don't know if you're talking about acoustic or electric here. But if it's acoustic, I'm wondering if you've tried the Martin Retro strings yet. I find they don't squeak as much.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 02, 2016 5:12 am

I would suggest the elixir lights too Daryl. I have been using them since Christmas and they squeak less, I think. I can't test it right now as my BSG is at the shop getting it set up and the action lowered, a nice free first service, so that when Ness plays it next time, it'll be easier to play :-).
I think I can guess which song so I am sooooo looking forward to it :)

daryl

Mon May 02, 2016 5:47 am

Dennis – I have used Elixirs in the past and liked them. Right now I have D’addarios on them and it’s probably time to change them.

Bill – Acoustic. I guess it’s time to put on the Retro strings and see how they behave.

Chris – I’ll try the Retro strings first (as I already have them). You’ll love the BSG (more) after your service. And yes, that is the song I’m working on. It will take some time.

But the general consensus (so far) is that it’s the strings and not my technique. I guess that’s good to know.

dennisg

Mon May 02, 2016 7:43 am

Daryl,

I'm not sure if the specific type of D'Addarios you're using are coated or not, but I use D'Addario EXPs, and I don't seem to have a lot of squeak. I think pretty much any coated string will reduce that sound compared to uncoated strings. As a side note, I'm not a huge fan of Elixirs because they have a 2- to 3-hour break-in period where they tend to sound dull.

One more thing I've realized is that if I soften my calluses (say, by washing my hands) right before I play, the string squeak is further reduced.

- dennis

wiley

Mon May 02, 2016 8:09 am

willem

Mon May 02, 2016 2:44 pm

What are double stops?

W.

thereshopeyet

Mon May 02, 2016 7:41 pm

Willem Wrote:
What are double stops?

Link

Stop Stop !! :ohmy: :S

I don't know why it's called a double stop.
The definitions I find on the internet explain that it's a bowed string instrument technique.

From what I gather it's just two notes played simultaneously.
I suppose then a if I slide up to play two notes simultaneously then I'm finishing on a double stop.

Maybe an onsite guitar guru will throw some light on the term Double Stop ?

:huh:

thereshopeyet

Mon May 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Daryl Wrote:
There was a LOT of string squeaking during the double stop slides ?
Have you considered putting a mouse trap on your strings ?

A piece of CHEESE helps :blush: ......... Whatever you do ...... and never forget ....

String Breakage.........stay away from apples and bananas ......... only cheese .... don't want to attract any elephants !!!

Dermot

:ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic