How Many is Too Many?

wiley

Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 pm

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 15, 2016 12:07 am

wiley wrote:
It is my hope that everyone at this years IGC will take the opportunity to pick up and play the Skylark. It's unique and what the future of guitars (except the additional 7th and/or 8th string) may be. The bevel makes that crease in your forearm disappear, the "Demi" cutaway, think of it like an ice cream scoop, keeps the volume and sustain more like a piece without a cutaway with that extra reach available, and the multi-scale (fan-fret) has to be experienced.
Can we have a photo or a vid please?

Music Junkie

Sun May 15, 2016 8:57 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
wiley wrote:
It is my hope that everyone at this years IGC will take the opportunity to pick up and play the Skylark. It's unique and what the future of guitars (except the additional 7th and/or 8th string) may be. The bevel makes that crease in your forearm disappear, the "Demi" cutaway, think of it like an ice cream scoop, keeps the volume and sustain more like a piece without a cutaway with that extra reach available, and the multi-scale (fan-fret) has to be experienced.
Can we have a photo or a vid please?
Chris: I Found this with a quick google search...

And this on YT:

wiley

Sun May 15, 2016 9:24 am

michelew

Sun May 15, 2016 5:25 pm

wiley wrote:
Hopefully this works. I know I have made several promises down through the years so........

This is dedicated to Dan, AKA "Wrench" - story is, at the first IGC (2013) Dan, Jason , Bear, Lynn and who knows who else were sitting in the general area admiring Jason's 3 inch folders of sheet music, just talking and such. Somehow out of somewhere the first parts of this hit me. Over the last several years I've worked it to this. IGC 2014, I opened the 'amateur' part of the first night's open mics with a fingerstyle version. Since I have no fingernails to speak of at this time, the pick took over. The crazy thing is, every time I pick this up and play I always see Dan sitting there. So - I call it "The Wrench".

And yes, that's the Avain Skylark. The fan fret isn't really noticeable from this angle.

Recorded using nothing more than an iPad Air and a Blue Spark lightning digital microphone, and using iMovie to edit.

Very nice song Wiley.

I'd love to try your Skylark. It looks and sounds very cool. I'm curious as to how it feels when playing it. See you in August. :)

M

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Wow! That Skylark is something wiley, nice! Nice piece you played too! By the way, where has Dan got to recently Long time no see!
Missed this last post a year ago, never too late! :laugh: :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 20, 2017 7:09 pm

I need to update from last year.

Another year, another guitar :laugh: Its 3 in 3 for me now. I have added a Takamine P3DC to my stable and I am VERY happy with it and cannot put it down. One of my favourite things to do (and I have been on a campaign of reducing life to favourite things in favourite places with favourite people for a while now) is to visit guitar shops and try out the goodies. I used to be so inhibited in doing this a few years back as I did not feel comfortable playing with people around. That's changed as my playing has improved and I am no longer ashamed! So its great to go tryout new guitars. After visiting Die Gitarre (my fav.) with Corina a few months back, I found a fabulous BSG J40 in African Black Wood and Alpine Spruce with a magical tone, a real beauty.... at almost the same price of my car (ok, it is a small car)! Now that's what I call a dilemma! So realizing this will have to remain a dream for the time being, a bout of G.A.S. set in and I found myself trying out lesser guitars wondering if I really needed a travel guitar or one I could plug in as the beloved BSG I already own is not wired up and the mic I have been looking at is around 500 bucks.... now you can get a decent wired up guitar for that price.

I tried a Breadlove with a Sitka top and electrics and it was pretty good as was a Farida (Chinese make) at around the price of the mic. Hmmm? I also looked at the Taylor 110 (Taylor over here are much more expensive than the US) and a Takamine P3DC and Furch which are more pricey (Furch too much so) but was most impressed with the quality for money of the Tak. Its playing and sound was excellent and the electronics are first class, plugged in, its an absolute winner. Love the (split) bone saddle and bone nut and the asymmetric neck and low action which really makes it more playable than my BSG! So I've been plugged in last 2 days and enjoying the hell out of it!

So my stable now looks like this.....

Godin Session, BSG 27DF Rosewood, Takamine P3DC, Takamine 12 (1987)
I now realise, I must be a fan of a Cedar top as all the above are Cedar!

familyman4

Sat May 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Only 3 more and you will have one for every day of the week! ;) Very nice, although I still believe with that baritone voice of yours, an 8 string Taylor Baritone would really be worth the investment for you.... I know, I know, stop putting ideas in your head!

Looking great!
Bart

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 21, 2017 1:12 pm

A Baritone would be nice Bart but it would not get a lot of play and the bang for buck ratio would be pretty low.... still, if I go on at this rate, who knows :-). This Tak has been a very smart move so far....

spinland

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:25 am

Ah, great thread (I've been browsing older forum stuff while awaiting a lengthy camera tracking job to finish) and so very topical for me right now. When I embrace a passion, I jump in headfirst and learn to swim later. It's one of my many character flaws. :silly:

Over the past nearly-a-year, I've embarked on a journey of seeking out what styles, shapes, sounds, and other descriptors comprise "my kind of guitar." I'm fortunate in that I have ready access to a wide variety of instruments, both new and used, that are both reasonably-priced and of good quailty; on top of that, the owner of the local music shop is like family and so I'm the benefactor of many a "sweet deal."

About a month ago I realized I was getting completely out of control and decided I had to impose some restrictions on myself. My studio rack seats eight, and that's all I now allow myself to have; if I covet a new one I have to choose an existing one and part with it to free up a slot. Thus far the plan's working.

Here's my current stable:

In order, left to right:

1. PRS Angelus A-10E acoustic-electric (you Campers met her at IGC).
2. Taylor 655 12-string acoustic (this belongs to Bart and will be sent back with loving thanks when I obtain my own acoustic 12. I'm on a waiting list for an Ibanez AEG1812II, which is hella popular and affordable so it sells out often).
3. PRS Zach Myers signature singlecut in matte black. One of only 60 made. They sold out in a matter of hours but I was in the right place at the right time. I sold my Angry Angel once I decided I liked the feel of this one better.
4. Gibson Memphis ES335 Studio. Much more reasonably-priced than the fancier-looking 335s and plays the same. I heard one being demoed in the shop and fell in love on the spot. This is my blues monster. Again, IGC folks met her in person.
5. Fender Standard Strat, MIM edition. I wanted a real singlecoil and the deal on this was too sweet to pass up.
6. Reverend Reeves Gabrels Signature. A Tele clone with a trem bar. I wasn't looking to get this one, but I was selling off the Variax/Helix combo I decided was too fiddly for my taste and too spendy to let gather dust. I got this plus a pile of cash in the deal.
7. Ibanez Artcore AS7312 12-String Semi-Hollow Electric. Latest member of the stable. Interested in the electric 12 string sound of the Beatles and the Byrds and Ricks are too spendy for my taste. I gave my nephew my G&L Tribute Tele (I decided I like the Reverend better so that one was redundant) to free up the slot.
8. PRS Kingfisher bass. One day I'll have the time to sit down and learn some stuff on this beast. Scored it used at a silly-cheap price from a local guy (and drinking buddy) who only plays uprights now and wanted to give it a good home.

In addition to parting with Angry Angel I sold my Grande Dame, to a local musician who recently came back to the area from LA with almost nothing left to his name. He's trying to start over and the A&L was a perfect fit for his style and I practically gave it to him. I already miss her but I haven't touched her in several years and she needed to be with someone who will regularly play and appreciate her. Angel is also in the hands of an up-and-coming young local musician so I can still visit them both (and hear them in action) now and then. I feel only good karma can come from the transactions.

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic