The Best Advice I Can Give You...

sandysue

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:28 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:

:ohmy:
Great advice Dermot, I love that song. :)

michelew

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:00 pm

Good question Dean for sure.

I've received lots of great advice from TG. But, there's one piece that is ALWAYS true. I still have to remind myself all the time.

If you want to get something down, play it slllllooooooowwwwwly (very slowly) until your fingers and brain absolutely know what they're doing before you start to increase the speed. When you do get faster do it bit by bit. If you start making mistakes again, slow it down until you don't.

Of course this is linked with working on small sections of a song too.

I also tell people to get a program that allows them to slow down the original song so they can play against it at a slow speed. It should preferable be a program that allows you to isolate sections and loop them too.

The more you can resist the temptation to speed up as soon as you can sort of play something, the better.

Confession - I suck at doing this properly! But I still try to apply it as much as I can, especially when working on a really tricky section. The more I do it, the more progress I make.

Sorry Dean there are a few things in there, but they're all linked.

M

BobR

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi Dean,

I think my advice would be, to make sure you are doing things correctly when practicing. It's hard to break bad habits. And of course have FUN.

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:07 am

Great question Dean, this should be a good thread for anyone to read through as the advice adds up.

I really identify with what's been said so far on keeping the right hand going and playing things slowly, really slowly, until the moves are anchored, this has been a guiding light for me. So, I will mention hand position, especially the thumb behind the neck rather than "grabbing the bat". I really resist this advice as much as I can as I learned grabbing the bat early on and that did make life easier, at first. But more and more I am confronted with the shortcomings of that and my hand gets exhausted after an hour or so. SO, I try more and more to improve my hand positions..... and I follow Vanessa's advice on using as little strength as possible to get the clean sounds instead of squeezing the hell out of the neck when playing! That together with better hand position is the lesson I am trying to learn right now.

Yeah, I know, I never could take just one album of music to my desert island, Dean! :laugh:

buddy

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:19 am

Great thread ! The best advice I got to help move my playing along was to learn the whole song all the way through and also to learn as many songs of different genre as you can to make you a better player.

wiley

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:28 am

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:10 pm

That's tough.....
RELAX
:woohoo:

Wiley Wrote:
Relax.....

unclewalt

Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:43 pm

tombo1230

Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Two things I would say.....Practice playing at a speed that you don't make any mistakes with and persevere when there is something you can't do, it will come good with slow practice.
These two are intertwined and echo what Michelle said. Ok three, Learn the fretboard and four pick the odd song that is outwith your comfort zone, when you master it you will be a better player for the experience.
Five...Learn new techniques and put them in the toolbox for use on other songs, like scratches or mutes etc. Ok there are loads more, but that's probably enough for now. :) :)

Cheers,

Tom N.

dtaylor

Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 am

The advice about practicing slow is something I always forget and I find it hard to force myself to do it; but good advice it is, and I instantly notice the benefit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic