The Best Advice I Can Give You...

dtaylor

Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:12 pm

If you had to pick just one thing you've learned on TG in terms of technique, theory, practice, or anything else to do with playing guitar, that you would pass on to a complete novice as 'the best advice I can give you', what would it be?

Just one piece of advice each, and if it's something you wish you'd been told when you started then all the better.

Mine would be keeping your right hand fingers assigned to a string each and your thumb on the bass, it makes learning new songs much easier.

fjeanmur

Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi Dean--

Interesting question. Mine would be Neils's time estimate for learning barre chords. I believe it was in the Acoustic Genius Series where he said something like "six months to a year, minimum" to really be able to play barre chords. That for me was probably the most important thing because if Neil hadn't given that realistic estimate, thirty years later I would have once again given up on guitar thinking that I just really s---ed because I couldn't play barre chords. As a kid I never learned how to play them because the other kids I was asking help from told me it was so easy, nothing to it, just put you finger down and . . . Years later I understand what was going on there.

I've learned loads of other things here, but this one was key because it got me over that hurdle. And God, Dreadlock Holiday is so much fun, Vanessa! I don't sing it, but I love playing it.

My two cents.

dtaylor

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:02 pm

Jean, I can empathise, I remember having my heart set on playing 'Something' which is full of variations of F# one after the other and thinking to myself, 'oh well, I'll never be able to play that, it's phyiscally impossible!'.

I learned the best way to get good at something like that is to have a song you're obsessed with being able to play, that way you're doing the hard miles but enjoying it at the same time.

willem

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:16 pm

Okay here is my english again and hope you understand.

I love playing campfire songs but with a litle bit of show in it, little leads and that kind of stuff.

the most important thing I learned here is "keep your strumming hand moving" never stop it !!

An other thing I love is how to strum with the downs and ups and play rhythm with 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 notes

And many more,I can't leave,

I also learned who is a great teacher or not on the big internet,,

Willem B)

TGNesh

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:25 pm

That's really a great question Dean and I'm curious for everyone's responses!

TGNesh

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Yep, hear you loud and clear. :)

So what would your advice be to a complete novice?

willem wrote:

I love playing campfire songs but with a litle bit of show in it, little leads and that kind of stuff.

the most important thing I learned here is "keep your strumming hand moving" never stop it !!

An other thing I love is how to strum with the downs and ups and play rhythm with 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 notes

Willem B)

TGNesh

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:28 pm

How awesome!! I'd be happy to sing it for you Jean, you play, I sing! :cheer: ;)

fjeanmur wrote:
And God, Dreadlock Holiday is so much fun, Vanessa! I don't sing it, but I love playing it.

willem

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:52 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Yep, hear you loud and clear. :)

So what would your advice be to a complete novice?

willem wrote:

Willem B)
advice, can you guess it,, I often send them to you cos it is dutch,, I learned here a lot of music terms in Englisch but I think for a lot of (dutch) it is very difficult to start of with

Willem

advice to a complete novice, learn the chords in open position, start with 3 chord songs, do a simple version strumming it with the folkstrum.,,, oh and tap your feet and never stop that strumming hand.

sandysue

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:13 pm

My advice would be to practice new things even when you don't really feel like it sometimes because it adds up over time. And the other advice would be to just enjoy playing what you've already learned sometimes too so that the whole thing feels worth while. :)

Sandy

thereshopeyet

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Get Expert Teachers ........... Join............. TotallyGuitars ............ Target Program !

:ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic