Roll call! What's happenin'?

michelew

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:55 am

davidrfinn99165 wrote:
michelew wrote:

Of course I just need to convince David that he should also don the look for the sake of our craft.
Haha, nice try Shel but maybe not - as I've said before, just because something is the height of fashion in Australia at the moment......

I take it we're less worried about bad hair days now...?? :woohoo:
Another wonderful thing about my new glamorous outfit is that it complements any fabulous hairdo or hair don't. :) it's the classic look here, don't look there technique. :)

michelew

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:59 am

wrsomers wrote:
fjeanmur wrote:

A new thread--maybe you're right. I was going to look at the brand of hard case I have today and start from there. Maybe everyone will hear from me later on.
Hi Jean,
A possible solution to your guitar transport fears can be the Hiscox case. Very sturdy and well made. I bought one for my Martin and feel confident it can withstand the mishandling of TSA workers. My only fear would be theft. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/index.htm

They have quite a price range. I bought the $279 model. It fits my D28 like a glove.

Bill
I have the OM model. It's been great for my Larrivee. I'll be using it on this trip too.

M

michelew

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:02 am

fjeanmur wrote:
Michele

Carpeting! That's exactly what we did. We ripped up the wall to wall on the second floor and had hardwood floors installed. So for three days I carried everything down to the first floor and I'm still carrying things back up. But I'm so psyched because with my three furry friends, it will be so much easier to get at all that feline fur they're leaving behind.

A new thread--maybe you're right. I was going to look at the brand of hard case I have today and start from there. Maybe everyone will hear from me later on.

I plan to have my video ready by the end of the week. I saw yours, but as a TZZ, you're a pro. I've never done a vid of myself before and it's really painful. I found an easy editing feature right on my iPad, but the video quality isn't that good. Oh well about that. Then there's the angle problem. The house is almost put back together and it should be really quiet around here for the next couple of days. I'm going to get working on it.
Jean, don't worry about the quality. Just get started. You'll find your techniques will improve the more you record and edit. It's not about the video itself anyway. It's all good. Just go for it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Great!

M

auntlynnie

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:23 am

Michele, as always, a great question.

Sadly, we've spent a lot of time lately fighting with insurance companies over my son's much needed back surgery and my mother's long term care. That has been quite an emotional drain. So, on Sunday I'm headed to a meditation/yoga type retreat in Massachusetts for a week.

We had a LOT of rain here in May, but my spring/summer project has been regrading and planting our side yard with native plants - a friend of mine is doing the design. The regrading actually was successful - no more pools of water near the house when it rains. The planting is finished and it is so rewarding to see the plants taking root and waiting for them to bloom. Or wilt, currently we are having temperatures in the high 90s - 100 degrees here in the D.C. area.

Michele and Jean We also have carpet removal and floor installation in our future. We recently acquired my mother's 14 year old cat. Our two young cats and he are working out the dynamics, but the dog expresses her displeasure by peeing next to the litterbox, hence the need for carpet removal!

I'm doing some sewing, both for myself and for IGC. I have yet to record my intro video, and I need to do in the next couple of days because I just know the next month will go by very fast.

Lynn

familyman4

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:36 am

Working, and traveling a lot in the process. I check into the TG forum whenever I can but it isn't often. Looking forward to August, family vacation and IGC 2016! See you at camp....

Bart

TGNesh

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Hey all! How nice to read how many of you are doing and what you're doing. Around summer the forums are usually quiet, and from the sound of it, you're all pretty busy indeed. What's up with all those carpets??! :ohmy: :S

For me, actually today is my first day 'off'/of vacation time. That is, from live-students, not necessarily Skype students and TG-lessons.

So my days will be filled up with lots of free time, which I very much use for playing for fun and/or for preparing (TG lessons/IGC). Other than that, just the usual working out, social stuff and theocratical activities. I often use time off for reading too or just watching a movie. Sorting out some stuff in the house would be a good plan though :S :laugh: , well i might. :)

It's hard to believe that in 3 weeks I'll be off to CA already to enjoy some vacation time (and even more importantly to unjetlag before IGC. Really the jetlag is just %^#% :blink: :angry: ). Besides being at TG Central for a bit, I will also visit my family who live 20 minutes away from Neil's place. Also spending 4 days in Seattle, to visit Dennis, is on the agenda. All in all, a LOT to look forward to. :cheer:

Ness

michelew

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:33 pm

Lynn, Bart and Ness,

Thanks for telling us all about what's happening in your neck of the woods. Hey carpet really does seem to be a theme in this thread. :) Maybe it should be called 'can't-pet' :D

Lynn - insurance companies... Sorry they're treating you so badly. I hope they come to the party. Ironic that you have to deal with the extra stress when you're already stressed. It sucks. Nice to hear about your garden project. It would be nice to see some photos if you feel like posting them. I'm a gardener myself. It's soul food. I hope the retreat has you feeling relaxed and centered. Looking forward to seeing your video and more importantly meeting you in person. :)

Bart - work and travel - busy indeed. IGC is just around the corner. It will be great to meet you. :)

Ness - vacation time - well you deserve a break you've been working hard for us that's for sure. Have fun with all your pre-camp activities. I'm SO looking forward to meeting you in the US! Can't wait. Though I just know I'm going to need to do remedial pick holding exercises. I'll need to hide the rulers. :) :D :kiss: must work on my D changes too ;) see you real soon.

dottmcse85630

Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:17 pm

:P Excited to be coming to IGC the end of August.
Been practicing 1.5 to 2 hours each daily so I don't look as much a dweeb as I could at IGC.

Been an exceptionally hot summer here in So Cal.

Dennis

michelew

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:00 am

Hi Dennis!

It's not far away now. 1.5 - 2 hours a day! Wow! Don't exhaust yourself before you get there :silly: . :) sounds fab!

sws626

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:27 am

My guitars had been sleeping quietly in their cases for a couple of years while I focused on our move, new job, new house that needed work, fatherhood, sailing, skiing, etc. I've dusted them off and am now working on relearning all the old songs. I've also been going back to fundamentals of chord tones, driving in fretboard knowledge, and working consciously on rhythm and groove as part of learning to place the bass. Just started putting together a little trio, so may have some material to post here before long.

I'm starting to regret not having made time to join in IGC this year, especially considering how many of you will be there and that I'm now local. If you plan any sort of extracurricular activity before or after the camp, let me know. It would be great to see you all.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic