Satisfaction - and where you find it.

michelew

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:26 pm

In contrast to Vanessa, I know that performing to a live audience is not my forte. Who knows, as I get more experience things may change; especially if I live long enough to get the skills and experience that I need to develop the sort of confidence that Ness and other performers have. ;)

Actually, I watched the video of my open mic in Seattle this morning. My singing was pretty awful and I was seriously nervous. The best bit was the look of relief on my face when I got through it and Farida's mandolin accompaniment which you can hear very clearly. So - I was absolutely NOT in my element.

Collaborations give me the most satisfaction, especially when I have some control over the final product.

I enjoyed all of the collaborations I did at IGC.

I've absolutely loved the collabs I've shared here on the forum; such as:
- the Beatles and Paul Thorn projects with Daryl,
- building on MarkM's Open G noodle with Vanessa,
- building on Vanessa's Dropped D noodle,
- the Jason Mraz project that Vanessa and I did,
- all of the songs that David and I have built.

All excellent fun.

All of these projects and other similar ones have allowed me to stretch myself and apply the skills I do have. I need to prioritize my time so I can keep doing them and build all of my skills so I can enjoy these sorts of projects even more and get better outcomes too.

I think I enjoy these sorts of projects the most because of the comradary I have with my collaborators and the creative energy that we all bring to them. It's contagious. I find them really energizing, even when I have to give up sleeping to get them finished. :)

wrsomers

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:53 am

dottmcse85630 wrote:
But I had a super wonderful time playing several Don Henley/Eagle tunes with Bill S. at camp. Thanks again Bill, very memorable for me.Dennis
Dennis,
I enjoyed that too! I remember it well. One of the highlights of camp for me. I admire your spirit and good humor and the fun you have playing your guitar. Keep that right wrist loose and your strumming will improve. :)

Ok...here comes another golf analogy with reference to the F chord...why do they call the game "golf"?...all the other four letter words were taken. :laugh:

Peace,
Bill

davidrfinn99165

Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:44 pm

Great question Shel.... I know you won't let me get away with saying 'any and all of those activities', though that is broadly true, and does give rise to a second question - ' when did music completely take over your life??'. I'd say i love both the guitar and listening to music equally, so we'll set the listening/going to concerts to one side for this thread.

When it comes to the guitar..well i just love to play, simple as that. Similar to what Ted said earlier, when i pick up the guitar then my shoulders and my whole frame start to relax immediately and mentally I feel as though I become the person I want to be. Everything then derives from that...for me in recent years in particular the songwriting and the public performing.

Now TG has become an important part of my life... the lessons, the teachers, joining in the forums, two guitar camps, new friendships, and of course our special shared collaboration experience. So playing the guitar is a gift that keeps on giving.

And if i hadn't picked up the guitar all those years ago ?? I guess i'd have had to learn the ukulele :)

/ david

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:40 pm

Shel, I like being asked to answer a question without thinking about it as that's what I do best :laugh: B)

So, I guess I have to say I get the greatest satisfaction these days out of being able to master a song to the point where I can perform it well in any circumstances, when I have it under control and can express myself as I feel at the moment through the song. This is really handy when I have to be up to speed when playing with Corina, or with CCNess. I would hate to be the one to flunk out.... I'd rather Corina or, heaven forbid, Ness does that! :laugh:

familyman4

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:18 pm

Great question! I must say though, I needed some time to think about it simply because the list is long and I had never really given the topic the proper consideration.

The most satisfaction,,, well I would have to say playing with a special purpose. Such as at weddings, birthdays, special events that make me work really hard on something that will help create a special memory for someone else. Then the pressure of making sure the event (or at least what I can control) goes off without a glitch. Examples include: Writing and performing a song for friends daughters 18th birthday. Music video for my daughters wedding day that we danced the "Father/Daughter dance to. Being able to play at the hospital for my mother when it was just her and I, alone in her room during her last days. Playing at many weddings. Funerals aren't much fun but it means a lot to family and friends when the loved one's favorite song is played and sang out of love and respect. Yep, with a special purpose should sum it up for me.

Bart

michelew

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm really enjoying reading these response. They remind me of the things that also give me satisfaction and how music is so fulfilling and important to all of our lives. Some of you have put a lot of thought into your posts and it shows; what a bunch of sweeties. :)

David - what a beautiful description of how playing the guitar enriches your life. It's a nice reminder to just enjoy playing. It's a nice reminder of all of the ways music enriches my life too and of what's possible. Yep it's also a powerful relaxant for me and a mediation. Feel free to jump in again with the 'listening to music' side of the equation.

Chris - yep learning songs to the point where you can express yourself really well is satisfying in itself. Actually I'm not sure I've achieved that often; but I'd like to. Good luck with your mission to mess up less than Ness and Corina. You've created a rod for your own back there.

Bart - I remember the song you wrote and recorded for your daughter; really lovely and heartfelt. I can really imagine how satisfying it is to perform for an important event like the ones you've described. They are special gifts indeed.

Thanks guys.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic