Satisfaction - and where you find it.

michelew

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:02 pm

This is another stupid question that's impossible to answer. I'm sure it changes for all of us all the time. I'm just curious about the extent to which we know ourselves and of course your responses.

Question: What aspect of your musical life gives you the most satisfaction? And why?

Is your musical nirvana:
- performing to a large room,
- performing for a couple of close friends and family at home,
- playing WITH other people,
- writing songs,
- collaborating generally,
- learning new songs,
- just playing in general,
- just improving,
- listening to music,
- going to concerts,
- passing on your knowledge about how play to others and seeing THEM improve,
- sharing your memories of artists you love,
- acquiring interesting gear and equipment,
- learning instruments, any and all,
- something else.

I presume most of us get satisfaction from a lot of those things. But, which of these and any others you can think of, is the most efficient path to satisfaction and joy for you?

Don't think about it for too long. Go with the thing that comes into your head first. It's often the answer. You many be surprised.

tjwatson10167

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:09 pm

One Hour a week....for my music thing? I remember a radio show that use to have listeners call in and pick 3 albums they would have on deserted island. One hour a week. OK my gut first choice would be to sit in my living room...alone.....cradling my guitar and play what makes me feel good. I truly love feeling the resonance of the guitar travel through my body and into my soul. It kinda' seems selfish to do music all alone though.

But 1 hour a week....thats was my first thought.

By the way...the 3 albums I picked were

Beatles - Rubber Soul

Steely Dan - Aja

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Cheers,

Ted

Craig

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:00 am

Michele,

As you've already stated, very difficult question and an answer that changes over time (or day to day!).

Right now I would have to say finding a song I really like and putting in the time to learn it and play it for my wife and kids.

Craig

Now I'm working on Ted's 3 albums! Another difficult question! :laugh: :dry: :huh:

michelew

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:05 am

Ted - Yep! It's a stupid question for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is that you need to be playing regularly to achieve most of the things on the list. I'll change the time to 1/2 a day. :)

The main thrust of the question is which activity gives you the most satisfaction; e.g. Are you really a performer in your heart of hearts and you need to play for people to fulfil that side of your psyche.

I like your answer. That vibration is gooooood for the soul. :)

Thanks for playing.

Craig - if it doesn't make you scratch your head ... well :)

Nice answer. :)

M

auntlynnie

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:29 am

Playing with other people gives me the most satisfaction,
but I couldn't give up many of the other activities on the list.

"Stupid" is a harsh judgment - I would say the question is restrictive,
but why judge our questions at all? It is instructive to ponder our likes
and dislikes, and challenge ourselves to pursue more musical activities.

As always, Michele, thanks for the food for thought.

Lynn

TGNesh

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:06 pm

Okay....I didn't put much thought in this, as requested, so the first thing that popped up in my head is the look on my face in a picture that you took of me when doing this open mic in Seattle. There must be footage too, it'll show that I'm having múch fun!! :cheer:

For some reason I love this picture, because it shows me being in my complete element (at least that's what í see). Just enjoying performing, enjoying the response from the audience, who are having a good time right there with me. So where do i find 'satisfaction', I think it's right there on that little stage and it's written all over my face. A combination of happiness, feeling strong and confident all together, indeed completely in my element and just really me. :) B)

Btw It's not necessarily a great picture, haha! :P It's even somewhat blurry.

Ness

dottmcse85630

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Great question!
For me being able to play even just a few songs, if you can call what I do playing!, has given me the greatest feeling of satisfaction. So much more than any other hobby or task undertaken.
I guess you could sum it up that music speaks to the soul, at least it does for me.

As for what I would most like to do, here are several that come to mind.
- Being able to play the 50 songs I like most. At least get through them without too many goofs.
- Playing WITH others. Have not had much experience with this other than a very little bit at camp. But I had a super wonderful time playing several Don Henley/Eagle tunes with Bill S. at camp. Thanks again Bill, very memorable for me.
- Learning in general (guitar) Being a late in life guitar learner there is so much to learn.

Lastly, I really had a wonderful experience performing at camp, never have played or sang a song to an audience by myself. :S Albeit a performance that could have been better, but isn't that's what its all about for most of us? Work on getting better?
I'm glad that I did it and will remember this always.

Thanks for the question Michele, it makes me reflect on what my journey is about.

Dennis

michelew

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:46 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
Playing with other people gives me the most satisfaction,
but I couldn't give up many of the other activities on the list.

"Stupid" is a harsh judgment - I would say the question is restrictive,
but why judge our questions at all? It is instructive to ponder our likes
and dislikes, and challenge ourselves to pursue more musical activities.

As always, Michele, thanks for the food for thought.

Lynn

Playing with other people - yep I hear you there. :)

I've deleted the second question. The first one works all
By itself.

M

michelew

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:55 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Okay....I didn't put much thought in this, as requested, so the first thing that popped up in my head is the look on my face in a picture that you took of me when doing this open mic in Seattle. There must be footage too, it'll show that I'm having múch fun!! :cheer:

For some reason I love this picture, because it shows me being in my complete element (at least that's what í see). Just enjoying performing, enjoying the response from the audience, who are having a good time right there with me. So where do i find 'satisfaction', I think it's right there on that little stage and it's written all over my face. A combination of happiness, feeling strong and confident all together, indeed completely in my element and just really me. :) B)

Btw It's not necessarily a great picture, haha! :P It's even somewhat blurry.

Ness

As the person holding the camera, I can attest that you absolutely ROCKED! Grumpy D's. In about 2 seconds you had everyone singing and grinning and having a wonderful time. You really were in your element. It really is one of your superpowers.

In fact everyone was enjoying your performances so much that they tried it get you to stay on the stage to do more- whereas everyone else was only allowed a maximum of two. :)

You were joy personified. :)

:)

michelew

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:59 pm

dottmcse85630 wrote:
Great question!
For me being able to play even just a few songs, if you can call what I do playing!, has given me the greatest feeling of satisfaction. So much more than any other hobby or task undertaken.
I guess you could sum it up that music speaks to the soul, at least it does for me.

As for what I would most like to do, here are several that come to mind.
- Being able to play the 50 songs I like most. At least get through them without too many goofs.
- Playing WITH others. Have not had much experience with this other than a very little bit at camp. But I had a super wonderful time playing several Don Henley/Eagle tunes with Bill S. at camp. Thanks again Bill, very memorable for me.
- Learning in general (guitar) Being a late in life guitar learner there is so much to learn.

Lastly, I really had a wonderful experience performing at camp, never have played or sang a song to an audience by myself. :S Albeit a performance that could have been better, but isn't that's what its all about for most of us? Work on getting better?
I'm glad that I did it and will remember this always.

Thanks for the question Michele, it makes me reflect on what my journey is about.

Dennis
Dennis - that's all great to hear. Making music is good for the soul.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic