String Theory and other stuff.....

wiley

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:54 pm

wiley

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:03 pm

wrsomers

Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:43 am

wiley wrote:
One thing I did ask Mr. Hoover (Santa Cruz Guitars) about was how some guitarist stay tuned a half step or more down, saying it lessens the tension on the neck, body, etc... therefore making it better on the guitar.

His response was along the lines of 'and I spend all that time and money figuring out how to build a guitar for the tensions of 'normal' A440 concert tuning!!!'

NOTE: the guy in the video 'pulls' the string from the post, please don't do that, those wound strings can act like a file!
Thanks Wiley,
I knew you would be able to add your vast engineering knowledge to the discussion. I never thought about the effect of pulling wound strings out of a tuning post...very good point. Gravity indeed :-o :-o

Bill

wrsomers

Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:52 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
So to make up for lack of video I made a quick compilation of some photos on Crete and around Lake Zürich on return home to catch the autumn mood. Crete is fabulous for shopping for jewellery, art, pottery and olive wood items and there are many local artists making lovely stuff, so you will see some of the swag and gifts in the video along with a Seagull at the beach :-), a fire in the mountains and some lovely girls :-). Also a full moon through a gap in the restaurant wall next to Miss Ale's head in a spooky pic.... and a Freudian slip in the lyrics of Windmills of your Mind, who can spot it? So, a holiday picture postcard to music....

Chris,
I got so caught up in the string theory, I forgot to watch the video. I just watched/listened to it 4 times. So beautiful!!! I know how much you enjoy Crete so that was special, but even more special is seeing you with your beautiful daughter and friend enjoying the gorgeous scenery and season in such a wonderful place. Makes me want to be there.

The quality of the audio is just great. It sounds to me that you've added something to your studio equipment. If so I'd love to hear about it.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:10 am

Much appreciate your inputs Bill and Wiley on string theory, many thanks! Great to hear from people who like to get their minds around such things as otherwise I'm just left with my own wonderings! :laugh: Dan seems to be AWOL :laugh: It was different strings on different guitars and a recent event which prompted my question Wiley. I get it that steel is not like an elastic band and tuning up and down is going to fatigue a string eventually. I think Bill has centred in on what happened this time, possible faulty string and the Seagull neck not providing any bend at the nut to ease things. I don't have the seagull here right now so can't check but it makes sense. I will certainly string my guitars with greater care in future and make sure I systematically stretch the strings too instead of just occasionally, so it has been good to be reminded of string basics, at least in this neck of the universe that TG luckily exists in. :laugh:

And this reminds me of opening the case of my mother's Spanish Classical guitar shortly after she died to find it lying there covered in its cleaning cloth with a broken G string and I just knew she did not put it away in that state, a goose bumps moment!

Thanks for the comments on the Video! I recorded with my Tascam (stereo mics) and added a slight reverb and rotating stereo chorus option in AVS audio editor which seems to move the focus of the audio around in a circular fashion. Quite liked that for "the circles that you find, in the windmills of your mind..." :)

Chris

Oh, seeing as Daryl is also AWOl, I better reveal the Freudian slip in the lyrics: I sang "Is the sound of distant strumming just the fingers of your hand? Should have been drumming... but I was actually strumming! :dry:

TGNesh

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:51 am

Chris, Corina, Miss Ale....that was such a lovely video....gorgeous pictures and settings, accompanied by a beautiful song!

Many thanks for sharing such great times...big hugs to you all. xoxoxo

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic