Mission control, mission impossible, mission accomplished, mission, mission, mission...

michelew

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:31 am

What's your current highest order mission?

I came back with a few missions from IGC, which I've been working on sporadically. But over the last little while I've had to spend time working with a damn thumb pick, or give up hearing bass notes when I'm fingerpicking for a while longer as my thumb nail continues to cause me strife.

I'm finaaaaaaallly happy to report that I'm making progress and making peace with the dreaded thumbpick. I still would prefer to use my own thumb nail, but at last they don't feel so strange and my precision is waaaaay improved. Yeh! You can teach an old dog. :)

Here's the three that are working the best for me at the moment.

So what missions are you all working on? What's your current primary mission?

Hi! And looking forward to hearing from you all.

Michele

Yamaha48

Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:34 am

Hi Michelle.
I have 3 picks,one for the thumb a large model.
The otther finger picks,mettal.
Grazzy feel,the picks on the fingers.
The thumb pick hurt my thump.
I have big hands,en not small fingers en thumb.

Cheers Anton

michelew

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:50 am

Hi Anton! It's great to hear from you. Are you still playing at markets and the like? What's happening in your musical life?

Yamaha48

Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:17 am

michelew wrote:
Hi Anton! It's great to hear from you. Are you still playing at markets and the like? What's happening in your musical life?
Hi Michelle.

No i play not on markets,my wife stopping with here products,en here shop.
Not active with the guitar as before.
Yeh long time ago mich.
To day i look in my guitar case and find there the finger picks.
I start with the thumb pick,and play the song Budapest.
I think thas a good song for alternate de basline.

Cheers Anton.

fjeanmur

Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:54 pm

Hey Michele,

I'm glad you've got one of your questions going to see what we're up to.

That's quite a collection of thumbprint picks! I bought one pack when Neil posted Angi a couple of years ago and for a couple of years I just looked at them. After the IGC, Neil sent me home to work on Angi and a couple of other things. Angi is tough, but I'm not finding the thumb picks too bad though. So I am working on Angi, but my instincts are telling me that this one can't be rushed, so I'm just doing a little at a time.

I worked on "Coventry Carol" today. I don't have it all worked out, but I'm going to play with it this week. When something like that is so new, it's hard to know which way to head. But I know the song well though. I wrote out all the chords, lined everything up and it was well worth it. In fact, I think I'm ready to dive into some of the chord construction and other such things. Four years ago, all of this was too new to me and I was overwhelmed. Now I think it's time.

And I'm thinking about the IGC in August.

So that's what I'm up to.

michelew

Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:40 pm

yamaha48 wrote:
michelew wrote:
Hi Michelle.

No i play not on markets,my wife stopping with here products,en here shop.
Not active with the guitar as before.
Yeh long time ago mich.
To day i look in my guitar case and find there the finger picks.
I start with the thumb pick,and play the song Budapest.
I think thas a good song for alternate de basline.

Cheers Anton.
Well that's a great song and a fun mission plan Anton. Let us know how you get on. Better still ... it would be great to see how you're doing. I've always loved watching your videos Anton. You always make them so much fun.

See you around and it's great that you're back.

M

sbutler

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Michele, I wish I had what it takes, to stick with those thumb picks. I struggle with them, therefore, I don't practice with them, and I should. It's the only way to get better.
I'm proud of you. And oh, Merry Christmas.

Scott

michelew

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:32 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Hey Michele,

I'm glad you've got one of your questions going to see what we're up to.

That's quite a collection of thumbprint picks! I bought one pack when Neil posted Angi a couple of years ago and for a couple of years I just looked at them. After the IGC, Neil sent me home to work on Angi and a couple of other things. Angi is tough, but I'm not finding the thumb picks too bad though. So I am working on Angi, but my instincts are telling me that this one can't be rushed, so I'm just doing a little at a time.

I worked on "Coventry Carol" today. I don't have it all worked out, but I'm going to play with it this week. When something like that is so new, it's hard to know which way to head. But I know the song well though. I wrote out all the chords, lined everything up and it was well worth it. In fact, I think I'm ready to dive into some of the chord construction and other such things. Four years ago, all of this was too new to me and I was overwhelmed. Now I think it's time.

And I'm thinking about the IGC in August.

So that's what I'm up to.
Thems there's some goodly missions. :) Doing work on chord theory in particular will pay off in all sorts of ways. I think you'll find it easier than you fear.

Songs for IGC. Go Jean!

michelew

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:58 pm

sbutler wrote:
Michele, I wish I had what it takes, to stick with those thumb picks. I struggle with them, therefore, I don't practice with them, and I should. It's the only way to get better.
I'm proud of you. And oh, Merry Christmas.

Scott
Merry Christmas to you too Scott.

You've heard me bitchin' and complaining for a loooooong time about thumbpicks. If I can get used to these darstedly devices you ABSOLUTELY can. For me besides just persistence, part of the trick was finding thumbpicks that fit snugly and modifying them to the right length for me. I'm still finding that sometimes I knock them out of place, the string can go under the bit that attaches to your thumb and the ProPik's downside is that you can hear a steel on string sound that's annoying when it unintentionally hits a string above it or otherwise incidentally.

The AlasKa Pik is the easiest to use as you can use the same motion as you normally would. It feels a bit weird and men may have trouble finding one that fits. I use the large.

You can do it. I have no doubt about that.

Thanks for the kudos. :)

How's your shoulder?

Talk to you later.

Shel

TGNesh

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:16 am

Awesome that you're becoming friends with the thumbpick Shel! :cheer: ;)

I'm obviously busy with teaching and lessons and of course to get better at it too. I'll be having some time off soon, well not much time, but some and I tend to dig deep into the physical side of guitar playing. I'm sure many of you have heard me talk about relaxing the muscles and such, but there is SO much more to it.

That's my mission. (for now! :))

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic