Tension and speed - linked?

michelew

Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi y'all!

I hope people are having some relaxing times. :)

I'm playing a little more which is very nice. I'm playing a couple of fast ones in particular and I'm noticing how my hands and arms generally tense up the faster I try to go. Do you experience that?

I'm actively trying to relax and trying to remember to scan my body for tension and release it; just as Ness reminds us often. Not so easy. :) but I continue to practice that. I'm also lightening my stroke a little. That helps.

Anyone got any tricks in addition to trying to relax and playing more lightly that help you to get faster?

I also go very fast for a little while and then slow. And I spend time just playing the pattern over a single chord or a small number of chords, building up speed.

Ok I think I know what I need to do. But any advice is welcome as always.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:02 am

Sounds like you are on the best path already Shel. All these points help with speed. I especially do the go slow bit much more than before and it really helps to get clear on what you have to do and helps let go of unnecessary tension. If you saw my clip of Question, you can probably see its quite a work out for both hands and it does take some attacking so I think more tension is just natural with more speed. With more practice, the tension seems to become reduced to whats necessary. I do wonder what the heck my feet are doing, though, at times! :laugh:

I am slowly starting to let go more and more, the more competent I become at a particular song so I really enjoy that. so good to hear you are playing more :) ... so I guess there's a video in the pipeline, eh? :)

dottmcse85630

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:40 pm

YES! most certainly do.

Ness, kindly scolded me at camp while sitting with her for a personal lesson.
So when I notice the tension building I can hear Ness telling me to relax. You don't want Ness messin' with ya!

Seriously it does help me to think and remember to relax just before I begin playing. I think that was a big part of what was holding me up from progressing.

Now if I can just get my A.D.D. fretting fingers to pay attention to where they need to be, on-time, maybe I can progress even further.

Dennis

michelew

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:24 pm

Hey guys!

Thanks for responding.

Chris - yep you're absolutely right, slowing it down is also really important. I've been working slowly today on the places where I stumble, a couple of spots where I haven't memorised the lyrics properly yet and the chord changes are a little tricky. So yeh, having to focus on too many things is also increasing the tension in my body. Oh there goes that voice in my head again - slow it down and perfect it FIRST! Before you speed it up - how DOES she DO that?! Surely she's asleep at this time?! B) :silly: :lol: :kiss: video? What would make you think that? :)

Dennis - hey nice profile picture. :) yep you're right. Not only is Ness very insightful and knows what she's talking about, but she's everywhere when you're playing - whispering in your ear, "slooooow dooown, relaaaaax, sloooow down, sustaaaaain, relaaax". :) hey! That's some value for money right there, right?!

Shel

sbutler

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:51 pm

Well, I find that the slower I play, the faster I get. :silly:

I just wish I could keep the brakes on more, and play everything slower. But I'm the guy that want's everything NOW! If would just make myself work on small details and specifics, I know that confidence comes. And with that, comes speed.

Scott

TGNesh

Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:08 am

:laugh: :laugh:

Well can't help to say that I'm pretty pretty pleased to hear that some of the things that I keep talking about in lessons are ringing through in some of the comments. :cheer: B)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic