*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?

spinland

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi, guys!

Yes, I get TG is mainly an acoustic playground. I'm great with that, but also very excited about the new PRS semi-hollow Santa brought me. One of the fun things I'm doing with it is playing around getting a "acoustic-like" sound out of it which, especially since it's a hollow body, is not all that far-fetched.

Why, when I already have a perfectly good acoustic sitting right here? Because reasons. Fair enough? :silly:

I think the fun of working out different tones to suit my mood is adding to the excitement of getting back into learning to play more than campfire songs. It's easy to get this thing to snarl and scream and make angry, my interest is in getting mellow, warm sounds out of it. Okay, sometimes the angry angel will need to come out to play, but for the most part not.

I'm not neglecting my venerable old Art & Lutherie, she's sitting right here beside me next to the PRS.

So, anyone still plugged in around here? Wanna talk amps, pickups, settings, effects pedals, and all that gadget stuff? Give yourself over to the Dark Side! :side:

sbutler

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:28 pm

I must confess, that I've dreamed of getting an old Les Paul and a small amp, will do some tricks. Just don't know if or when it will ever happen.

Scott

spinland

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:14 pm

sbutler wrote:
I must confess, that I've dreamed of getting an old Les Paul and a small amp, will do some tricks. Just don't know if or when it will ever happen.

Scott
That's a great pick, Scott! When I was pondering how best to break into the plugged-in world the GLP was high on my list. What happened was I really wanted a hollow body, and for Gibsons that meant an arch top single cut most likely, and then sticker shock set in. I found a killer deal on this PRS for about a third of the $, and PRS makes wonderful instruments, so that's where I landed. Got a small-ish 20W Peavey practice amp to go with it and couldn't be happier. I never plan to play out and, if I did, I'd have to borrow or steal a larger amp but for jamming in my home studio 20W is way more than I need. I can't even take the gain past 3, it's too loud.

wrsomers

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:46 am

spinland wrote:
Hi, guys!

Yes, I get TG is mainly an acoustic playground. I'm great with that, but also very excited about the new PRS semi-hollow Santa brought me. One of the fun things I'm doing with it is playing around getting a "acoustic-like" sound out of it which, especially since it's a hollow body, is not all that far-fetched.

Why, when I already have a perfectly good acoustic sitting right here? Because reasons. Fair enough? :silly:

Hi Mark,
It seems you might like totallyelectricguitars.com. Have you checked it out? Max has some really good lessons for electric guitar players.
Bill

spinland

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:49 am

wrsomers wrote:
It seems you might like totallyelectricguitars.com. Have you checked it out? Max has some really good lessons for electric guitar players.
Bill
Wow, Bill, I had no idea that site existed! Thank you for the pointer! Yeah, that sounds like the perfect place to take my electric aspirations while keeping my acoustic stuff here.

Thanks again! :cheer:

auntlynnie

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:46 am

Hi Mark,
I definitely understand how multiple guitars can inspire you to practice, play, etc.
I find that each guitar takes me in a different musical/style direction, and that's great for building your skills, etc. And I'm pretty sure that many of us have some kind of electric in our own instrument cache. I have a garden variety Stratocaster, which is really fun to play, and I also use it if I've been away from practicing for awhile and want to build up my callouses again.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying playing so much.
Cheers,
Lynn

spinland

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks, Lynn!

What happened with me is I've been having fun arranging MIDI songs (as opposed to playing them live) and a while back I picked up an actual MIDI guitar to augment my keyboard. I started having so much crazy fun with it I had to ask myself why wasn't I actually playing any more? Been a "campfire style" acoustic player for a long time, just to accompany my singing, but REALLY PLAYING became something I realized I needed in my life (lots of stress, different story).

I got into some fingerstyle stuff (my fingerstyle guru brother-in-law lent me his Travis Picking book) and quickly realized I liked having so many tones to play with but the MIDI guitar is kind of sterile in terms of playing feel. Bought (well, asked Santa to bring) a shiny new PRS Custom semi-hollow and a proper amp and since then it's been all over for my spare time. :silly:

I've been playing the acoustic a ton again, too, so that's to the good. I got a sound hole pickup module for it so I can record without needing to mic it up (my studio's sound isn't the best and I have very vocal cats) and bouncing back and forth as the mood takes me.

So much fun!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic