Quick object lesson in why I need to get better with scales

spinland

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:26 am

I've been learning "Father and Son" by Cat Stevens, and had worked out what I thought was a good set of tab in Guitar Pro for my practice track. Well, when I brought it into Logic the first note of the little melodic riff in the intro/bridge was showing string 2, fret 1. I distinctly remembered Neil teaching it as string 3, fret 5, which is an easier fingering because of the following notes. Huh? The piano score showed the same note.

DUH! It is the same note, just two different voicings for the same C. If I were better at scales I'd not only not have had that moment of confusion, but would be able (in the future) to do the same thing Neil did when picking the best fingering to get make a riff more playable on the fretboard.

Scales are deadly-dull, but clearly necessary to understand what's going on. As an analytical by nature understanding matters to me. :side:

TGNesh

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Hey Mark,

Good for you finding out about such things!

Am not so sure if scales will help you in that respect neccessarily. First off, would you, for example know about the rule of five? Do you know all the lettername-notes in first position? Would you know those on the two bottom strings just like that as well?

spinland

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:13 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Am not so sure if scales will help you in that respect neccessarily. First off, would you, for example know about the rule of five? Do you know all the lettername-notes in first position? Would you know those on the two bottom strings just like that as well?
I see I was abusing that term: I was trying to describe the whole arena of knowing where the notes are on the fretboard, which apart from a few I use all the time I do not. I've heard of the "circle of fifths" but also do not yet understand how it's used. I have much to learn. :S

thereshopeyet

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:29 pm

spinland

Here's a link to a great two page forum topic on The Circle of Fifths which includes contributions from TGNeil :dry: and TGVanessa :dry: :P

:)

spinland

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Most excellent stuff, thanks! :side:

TGNesh

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:34 am

The circle of 5th's is a fantastic tool to memorize stuff. Nowadays I have a circle of 5th's clock hanging in my teaching studio. It's very fulfilling to see my students actually use it and for them to get it more and more. They really enjoy that too, since the puzzle gets more clear all the time.

What I was actually referring to is the 'rule of five' or the '5 fret rule'. This is very helpful to find the same note on another string/another spot on the neck. In part 6 of the following link, 05.30 minutes in, there i get into it quite a bit.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

spinland

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:30 am

TGVanessa wrote:
What I was actually referring to is the 'rule of five' or the '5 fret rule'.
:blush:

Okay, now I get it. D'oh! That's a great song in its own right, now it's moving to near the top of my list to watch. Thanks for the pointer! :side:

thereshopeyet

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Hey Spinland

Here's another interesting forum topic.

Rule of 5 and Sometimes 4

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic