Spinny gets schooled again: posture

spinland

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:54 am

Okay, so. I've read and/or viewed tons of stuff about good playing posture both "out there" and here. Apparently I also just ignored the advice and went my own way thinking I already had that down.

That's the only reason I can think of for my recent discovery: when I play standing up I have far less trouble with my fret hand work.

See, when I got the new electric it came with a nice strap. I liked it so much I got one for the acoustic, too. Then I actually started using them, which meant playing standing. Wow. So, so much easier to reach and hold various fingerings.

So, that tells me my seated posture sucks and I need to go back to kindergarten and work on what I'm doing wrong to make my fretting arm/hand so differently-placed. Even playing "classical style" I'm finding standing easier.

:silly:

dottmcse85630

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Wheeew lucky for you Ness didn't catch you doin' that! She can be brutal! :laugh:

Posture & relax are my focus just before starting a song. Not to mention all the other things to do!

Dennis

wiley

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:04 pm

spinland

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks for the pointer; I'll try to scare it up.

In the short term I'm practicing while standing almost exclusively now, and that helps a great deal. B)

michelew

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm wondering whether you find standing easier because the guitar is fully supported by a strap. There are different views on this, but I personally find it useful to use a strap when I'm sitting too. I used classical position; the guitar is on or over my left leg and hangs in the middle of my body. By using a strap, I can ensure that the guitar is always supported and I'm not having to use my left hand to support the neck, only to fret.

In order for this to work, you need to have the strap adjusted tight enough that the guitar is supported by the strap, that the strap is taking most of the weight, even when you're sitting down. It means that you're playing in a pretty similar position regardless of the exact configuration of the chair.

I do finding it a little more difficult to play standing, because the angle of the guitar changes a little and I can't see the fret board as easily; the face of the guitar is vertical rather than leaning back slightly. But that's something different again.

In summary if you haven't already, try using a strap when you're sitting too. It frees up your hands and brings some consistency to your playing position.

Let us know how you go.

M

spinland

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:06 am

Thanks for the tips, Michele! I'll certainly give that a go. :side:

spinland

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:46 am

Watching Neil's beginner lessons because, well, methinks my "experience" to date has been largely a stream of bad habits that I need to unlearn. :P

Foot rest. On order. Try classical position using one. Will do.

I'll report back when it arrives and I've had a go using it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic