How do you get into performance mode? Do you have any guitar props?

michelew

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Lots of performers have an image, a brand that defines them. Many seem to use props like hats to create that. Masks of one type of another are well known as a way of helping is overcome inhibitions and allowing us to get into a certain frame of mind.

Do any of you have a hat or some other paraphernalia (in addition to a guitar of course :P ) or ritual even that allows you to get into the right frame of mind when you're performing or even just playing?

Mark's new hat inspired this thread. :)

Interested to know. :)

spinland

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 am

michelew wrote:
Mark's new hat inspired this thread. :)
:silly:

michelew

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:54 pm

BTW Mark, I really like your hat. It suits you. I'd wear one myself. But most of the time they don't work for me. I think I need attitude lessons; how to rock a hat. :) or a bigger head. :) or something.

Good profile piccie. :)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm supposed to know something about this subject, performance state, seeing as I teach sportsmen/women how to be in their best performance state on a weekly basis. Still, when it comes to me, myself playing the guitar in front of the camera or an audience when the chips are down, its still difficult as there seems to be so many things to get right. I have always felt that being a musician is much more difficult when it comes to performance than being a sportsman/woman. The latter can make mistakes and still win but a musician can't. So I have had to adopt that state of allowing an error and playing on as I find playing error free pretty much impossible and very, very inhibiting.

So, that's how I relax enough to perform by just accepting things that go wrong.... as long as they are not too show-stopping! But the thing that allows me to relax the most is knowing I can play the song because I have practiced it a hundred times (or more) and all of the movements are anchored in muscle memory as far as possible and lyrics are down by rote. Of course, there will be glitches but starting out with the feeling, I have this under control is the most important factor that will put me in a good performance state. Additional stuff like standing in front of a microphone or having to activate a switch or read a computer screen will throw me off unless I have worked on those things too. Even standing instead of sitting can be a big distraction so I practice that too.

And then I have to feel good, comfortable with the people or situation around me (or block it out if necessary) so there is a lot of mood and mind control coming into play as well. So, for me, there has never been room for a prop like a hat although I now do have one.... it may be a while before I appear hatted in front of the camera yet!

So here's an example of me playing a song in front of the camera, pretty relaxed and with the best of friends and playing a song I have practiced more than 100 times but still have never managed it without error, not even once, mainly because I can't do it without seeing the strings which then makes me lean over the guitar and lose a good singing position. Ah, and there is an ahha ha bit which I still can't nail down while picking out the riff.... so much to do!! :huh: Needs much more practice. At least Corina's now getting it right :-)
And I think I can hear Miss Ale putting the high voice in there too, off camera. Nice.

spinland

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:52 pm

michelew wrote:
BTW Mark, I really like your hat. It suits you. I'd wear one myself. But most of the time they don't work for me. I think I need attitude lessons; how to rock a hat. :) or a bigger head. :) or something.

Good profile piccie. :)
Thanks! I've long considered going all Blues Brothers, and then not long ago I got friendly with the mixologist at one of the finer dining establishments around here. He goes by "Cool" Joe Early and that's his hat style when on the job. He also lives in the apartment above my favorite brew pub, so I see a lot of him.

Then, to add icing to the proverbial cake, one of the folks I chat with on a Facebook guitar forum (one of the very few spots over there I consider worth visiting; I am so not a FB fan) rocks a grey version of the same style. It's called a trilby (not to be confused with a fedora, which everyone mistakes it for) and we joked that his playing skill came from the hat.

I simply had to get one. And so there it is. Now, about that playing.... :blush:

wrsomers

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Well I guess everyone knows about my hats! :)

Chris, the only advice I can give you and myself,(constantly)...don't fear failure. It's the fear of failure that leads to it. My sports guru, Dr. Bob Rotella,

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m- ... 39169.html

says this: "Put a 4" balance beam on the floor and almost everyone will be able to walk from one end to the other, but put it 10' in the air with no net, and almost everyone will fall off". He reasons that when you fear failure, you become careful instead of instinctive, and failure is what you get. I'll bet you teach some form of that philosophy in your job. And I hear you about the difference between sports and music, but I've found most people don't even hear your musical mistakes...except Neil, and Vanessa :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:56 am

Wise words Bill, what you focus your attention on is what you get, for sure!

I laid fear of playing to rest a while back, so luckily I am no longer inhibited by that.... but I do get really annoyed when I can't get through a song at least in a reasonable fashion. Gypsy is one of those that I have never managed to play to my own satisfaction yet.... so I keep on practicing and put my attention on whichever aspect is tripping me up.... right now, its playing those riffs without looking at the strings.

wrsomers

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:17 am

Chris - Oh yeah, not looking at the strings. That's a tough one for me too. It makes you wonder how Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Jose Feliciano and all the other sightless artists do it so well. Maybe we should practice blindfolded?.... Hmm, it might be worth trying. :)

Bill

crieniecat

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:43 am

I'm so lucky to not have to play the guitar AND sing... instead I can so appreciate leaving that part in the worthy hands of friends.

Performance ready... does it exist? At all?
The challenge rises already when someone reaches for the camera and then points the thing at you :blink:
It always gets to my nerves.... you have to focus on so many details....pffff :ohmy:

My challenge will be to look more comfortable while being recorded... no idea how,.... really :dry:
Maybe a hat will work for me as well... hmmm.... :S :lol:

michelew

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Hey Corina!

Yeh playing AND singing is definitely harder than doing one or the other. Having a real live audience or a virtual one absolutely ups the ante pressure-wise.

I always love watching your performances. So if you do end up feeling more comfortable it will only get better; even if it just means that you have more fun, you enjoy it more. Though it's always more fun for the audience when the performer is enjoying themselves too.

I'm a fan. And I think you'd look adorable in a hat. :)

Shel

:kiss:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic