Wound Up About Strings

dottmcse85630

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Just put new strings on! Wooo, I really love the way the guitar sounds with new strings. You don't really notice how they diminish over time but when the new shoes are on what a fit!

I've been using Elixer NanoWeb the past few years, trying some PolyWeb now. They sound good so far they are supposed to give a little richer sound compared to Nano's. I tried some Martins months ago but too much string noise when sliding up or down and they just didn't feel good.
Oh, I try to stay to the lighter weight strings too

I know this has been discussed before, but a general question or two:

How often do you change strings? I know it depends on lots of variables.
For me about every 4 to 5 months and I usually try to play 10 to 12 hours per week.

Brands you've found best, worst?

Dennis

michelew

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:50 pm

How often do I change my strings? ..... no where need often enough... embarrassed to say when I did it last ... could have been ... just before IGC ...

I used to use Elixir nanoweb 12s - 0.012 - 0.053. They used to last nicely for Sydney's hot and humid conditions. But Dennis G put me on to DR Rare - phosphor-bronze RPM - 12 - 0.012 - 0.054, which are designed to suit rosewood body guitars; which my Larrivee is. I do think it gives a slightly stronger bass. I don't know if it's the slightly heavier bass strings or the string composition or both. The downside of these strings is that I occasionally get a dud because they're handmade.

Have fun exploring. It's definitely a personal thing. I used 11s at one point, but I way prefer the sound of my guitar with 12s. Barreing of course is harder.

You need to work out what combination of sound and ease of play works best for you.

M

spinland

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:57 am

On the electric side it's a new guitar so I'm still on the first set of strings (apart from the treble E which I broke getting too froggy with picking).

On my acoustic (when I'm playing semi regularly) my aim is a fresh set every 3-4 months. If I were playing professionally I expect that's not nearly often enough but for the amount of playing I do on it that seems to work well.

I use 9s on the electric and 11s on the acoustic. My brand of choice is D'Addario and I'm currently running with the EJ26 phosphor bronze set on the acoustic. I intend for you to be able to hear the tone first-hand soon. :side:

fjeanmur

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:33 am

Hi Dennis!

I think this string thing gives us all a sense of the "guilties." I put in about nine hours a week and I change my strings every six to eight weeks. From what I've read, it seems to be a good number. I can't say my strings sound dead when I cut them off, but the sound difference is so noticeable with fresh strings.

I also use the D'Addario customer light gauge. These were put on the guitar when it was first set up. Then when I found out this is the brand Neil uses, I figured if they're good enough for the Master, they're good enough for me. One time one of the Guitar Center people talked me into putting on the D'Aaddario coated strings so they would last longer. I think they stayed on all of one week before I cut them off. He said I wouldn't feel the coating, but not true!

I doesn't take me too long to change anymore, but at first it was a stressful project. Here's the Martin Guitar video that I found really helpful.

Happy playing!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic