Spinny Gets Schooled: Pick Texture

spinland

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:14 am

So, as I unlearn bad habits from years of unschooled "campfire style" playing, I come to finally holding a pick (plectrum) properly. Then to losing it (or to having it slip into weird positions) because I no longer have it in a death grip.

Heh.

Now I get the significance of all the discussions about texture. Have a small bag of "Max Grip" Jazz IIIs arriving today for me to audition. We'll see how this goes. Ruins my rhythm when I have to fumble around and/or grab the damned thing in mid-song. :angry:

M

TGNesh

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:26 pm

The everlasting search for the 'right' pick! :laugh:

Well, I do have a few that I like best, usually 0.73 or 0.88 with a bit of grip. I actually care more about the tone that it creates, which seems to differ from one pick to another.

I'm glad you've gotten rid of the death grip Mark, you're well on your way! ;)

Oh and learn how to fix the playing situation, when you do lose a pick mid-song. Happens to the best, so what do you do???!! B)

Ness

spinland

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:18 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Oh and learn how to fix the playing situation, when you do lose a pick mid-song. Happens to the best, so what do you do???!! B)
Why, revert to the lessons from Neil I just watched and drag out the invisible pick! B)

M

spinland

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Oh, and these new picks (just started using them this evening) are 1.38mm thick, and I'm seeing that's on the thick side for most folks. I have some 0.6mm versions from the same maker arriving tomorrow and then I'll go back and forth for some comparison on both the electric and the acoustic.

So, yeah...the quest has begun. :side:

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic