Poll inside: What's your appetite for technical discussions? E.g. Recording set ups, gear etc.

michelew

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 pm

They say you shouldn't ask a question you don't want to know the answer to. I'm hoping the community doesn't want tech talk to be kept off TG, but if that's the general consensus I guess it's good to know so people aren't being irritated, or better still we can find ways to talk tech without adversely affecting people.

So the question here is what is your appetite for technical discussions (e.g recording set ups, equipment and techniques). There's a poll to explore the community's views below. Feel free to post more info and clarify things.

davidrfinn99165

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:55 am

Zero interest shel, i can't understand a word of it ...but hey, y'all have fun now. :woohoo:

sorry zomb..you knew that already, i guess you just wanted to smoke me out in public haha !!! :)

michelew

Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:19 am

I'm SHOCKED zomb! :P :woohoo:

But hey! I used to know this guy who was even less interested in tech than you and now he's recording multi-track songs on his iPad. So there's hope for you yet buddy. ;)

Besides, if you were interested in tech I'd be out of a job! :)

neverfoundthetime

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:15 am

Hi Shel, yes I am interested, especially when I want to get a job done and need to know how to do it. In the old days, it was easy, just ask Al (AcousticAl). As a professional camera man, Al could help on so many issues. I do miss Al and his posts. But there are a number of tech oriented people here who will happily give advice, so, asking always produces results. Its one of the great things about TG. Help is at hand.

This is the forum, so folks can read and respond to a thread or not. No one is forced to pay attention to anything they don't want to so we are never disturbing anyone whatever we post. If someone is irritated by a post, they can always respond or just go find a great lesson to spend time on. :laugh:

TGNesh

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:12 am

I'm with David Shel, but you already knew that too! :P

I think people should just post away about it as they please. All this tech stuff is related to how to use it with music/playing the guitar. So in my opinion it rightfully should have a place in the forums.

If I'm really honest, the only thing that I catch myself thinking here and there is 'oh please, just play the d%$^n guitar first!', but you already know that too! :laugh: :laugh:

And now I'm out of here! :P

Ness

wrsomers

Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:19 am

Yes Shel, as you know, I am interested in the tech stuff too. Most of what is posted on the forum I find very interesting.

Bill

Edit: And I'm with Ness. Sometimes I only want to know about just the music and how to play it :) so as Chris pointed out, you can always spend your time on the lessons page and learn a great new song. :) In fact I'm going there right now. Gotta get back to "I Can't Make You Love Me".

spinland

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:18 am

Heh. I expect no one who's seen my posts thus far would expect me to chime in at less than "go for it!"

In the immortal words of Frank Zappa (one of the greatest guitarists ever): "Shut up and play yer guitar." Still, I derive so much enjoyment from the arranging and mixing aspects of guitar that I can't clam up completely.

Now, where's that emoji with the taped-together glasses? :silly:

michelew

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for sharing your feelings on this one everyone. It's good to see that technical discussions aren't making smoke come out of anyone's ears yet.

In truth, my appetite for technical stuff changes from day to day with the subject matter, whether I'm able to understand and apply it, the amount time I have and how it tired my brain is. I definitely lean towards tech-head and wanting to learn more but I don't always have the capacity for it.

I hear you Ness on just play the guitar too. I do find I can spend too much time on tech stuff at times rather than just playing and improving my skills.

And it's absolutely true for me that if a technical discussion isn't interesting me for whatever reason, it's easy to find something else, especially great lessons of course. So I'm a bit to a split personality and my personalities span the spectrum of appetites here (except the bottom two).

Thanks for responding people.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic