Visiting Die Gitarre in Winterthur, Switzerland in 2017

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Another visit to my favorite guitar shop, Die Gitarre in Winterthur. Anything to drive away the deep winter blues! I really do find this time of year tough and nothing quite cheers me up like chocolate and a visit to this fabulous collection of guitars. Played the Taylor Baritone 8 string first and really liked it but then I entered the dream room and got lost for about an hour and a half between SO many beautiful guitars.

In the video filmed by MissAle you can hear/see a:
Martin D28 John Lennon
Taylor 618e in Spruce and Big Leaf Maple
Gibson Hummingbird Mahogany
BSG J33F Spruce top Brazilian Palisander body
...all real beauties!

The Martin is everything a Martin Dred should be, Franco Head of Sales, reckons its the best dred in the room and it has a lot of great John Lennon styling features on it too. Sounded great even with old strings on it. Impressive price tag! The Taylor really impressed me with the sound and feel as well as the Sitka Spruce top and the lovely Big Leaf (rippled dark red) Maple body, really nice guitar at around 3600 Swiss Franks. The Gibson is exactly what you expect too, a deep bone crushing sound guaranteed to cut through in a crowd! The BSG is a beauty with a Spruce top and a wonderful Brazilian Palisander body. It has that unique BSG sound and rings through beautifully. Price tag around 4.5 grand. Pic a winner out of those 4 if you can! Which would you take home if the master of the wallet would allow?

daryl

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Which one would I take home if the master of the wallet would allow? ALL of them! BTW great playing there Chris. Very impressive.

davidrfinn99165

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:40 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I really do find this time of year tough and nothing quite cheers me up like chocolate and a visit to this fabulous collection of guitars.
Looking and sounding good Chris. Next time could we hear a little more about the chocolate please.... :)

wrsomers

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 am

All very great sounding guitars, but then that has a lot to do with who's playing them. Chris you sound wonderful! Very impressive playing. I'd have to pick the Martin, only because it seemed to have the most balanced sound, and because I love D28s. Fortunately this time you won't be enticing me to buy another expensive guitar :laugh: I already have a D28 :) But maybe I need to take some guitar and singing lessons from you. Also the sound quality from your camera is really good. Thanks for sharing your "chase the winter blues" excursion. :)

Bill

spinland

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:32 am

Wow; such a wondrous cool place to visit and you do those masterpieces great credit. Thanks for sharing your fun! :side:

crieniecat

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:32 am

It's obviously bringing you in your element, being there between all these beauties B)
I couldn't see any chocolates left.... :dry: but that might be just wishful thinking on my part :laugh:

Great to see you so relaxed in front of the camera, you play really wonderful, I see smiles all over, which completes the glimps of this nice visit to your most favourite shop :P

dekotaj

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:34 am

daryl wrote:
Which one would I take home if the master of the wallet would allow? ALL of them! BTW great playing there Chris. Very impressive.
I got to go with Daryl on the guitars and your playing.But if I had to pick one guitar from this review. I would go with the Gibson.

kevin

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks for tuning in folks!

Daryl, yeah, would be nice to have them all! Thanks for the comments on the playing, I guess practice does pay off after all :laugh:

Thanks David, yes more chocolate, that makes a LOT of sense this time of year and especially Swiss chocolate!! Simply the best.

Way too kind Bill! You certainly don't need lessons from me on either playing or singing, love listening to your posts every time! I am enjoying myself these days, used to be I was way to shy to play a guitar in a shop if anyone was within hearing distance. Yeah, very hard to beat the D28, especially in that version. Even with old strings it was spot on!

Thanks for tuning in Mark, you've made quite splash yourself here since arriving, great that you have added a lot of positive energy into the forums.

Thanks Corina, it always works well with Ale behind the camera, someone I love to play to :-). You met the chocolate but we didn't make it to the shop.... must put that right next time :)

Thanks Kev, yeah the Gibson was pretty mean sounding, very rich and dark and deeper than the others.... and loud! All of them are so easy to play.

Wish I had recorded the Baritone 8 but I didn't really know what to play on it.

Edit: BTW Bill, I was using my Samsung Edge7 to record which has brilliant picture and sound quality, I must say!

spinland

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:48 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Mark, you've made quite splash yourself here since arriving...
Thanks for the kind assessment. :lol:

Methinks I might have gotten a wee carried away with the excitement of getting back into all this, and of finding such a welcoming safe space wherein to explore and grow.

Might be time to dial it down a bit and just play and sing and share some music. :side:

Mark

BobR

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:43 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your visit. I'll bet everyone in the shop enjoyed it too :)

bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic