So, all of our guitars are out of tune... or what?

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Wiley, yes equal temperament. I am so used to A=432 Hrz tuning by now, I only change if I am playing with someone else (like Ness) who wants to stick with 440 or if I need to play along with a recording but even then I tend to digitally change the recording to 432.

Those guitars of yours are intriguing.... would like to try the skylark.

Until about 4 years ago, I always tuned the guitar the tuning fork way, to itself. Now the digital has taken over too.

Yes, Mark, a very interesting exchange of info here, thanks to all for adding to the knowledge and demystifying the issue, mostly! I would say,
Alles klar, keiner weiss Bescheid! Or, Alle klarheiten beseitigt! :laugh:

By the way, the video of JT reminds me again that his aura is more that of a woodwork teacher than a world class rock/pop star! Rather dour... if I may say so. :huh: Sorry if I'm offending any fans... B)

wrsomers

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:55 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

By the way, the video of JT reminds me again that his aura is more that of a woodwork teacher than a world class rock/pop star! Rather dour... if I may say so. :huh: Sorry if I'm offending any fans... B)
You haven't offended one of his biggest fans (me), but you have to understand JT. He is just a regular, somewhat shy, honest to goodness person. Totally unassuming. The kind of person you'd like to sit down and have a beer with. I have always wanted to do that, since I have been with him from the start. So... dour? No! Shy and unassuming,...yes! He's just an average guy who, through his enormous talent made it big. He is everyman who just happens to be a genuinely nice human being! Sure, he's had his problems with drugs, etc, and when he was young, quite angry. But now, especially since his marriage to Kim, he's just a mellow happy, nice guy. Look at his face then and now...

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Chris Wrote:
By the way, the video of JT reminds me again that his aura is more that of a woodwork teacher than a world class rock/pop star! Rather dour... if I may say so. Sorry if I'm offending any fans...
Hey :dry:

What's wrong with Sweet Baby James

He looks quite a happy guy !

:ohmy:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:18 pm

.... a woodwork teacher in the making Dermot :laugh:

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Chris Wrote:
I wood work :dry: as a guitar teacher Dermot
I think you wood be very good as TGChris

Dermot

:)

michelew

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Excellent info Wiley. Thank you that makes a lot of sense. The first video was especially useful.

M

wiley wrote:
think 'equal temperament' vs 'true temperament'.

"Equal Temperament" is, and has been, the system we use in most 'western' music (No, not Country Western!) and it's a compromise.

Among other things - the length of a string, the circumference (diameter) of the string, the material of such and the applied tension go into changing the frequency of that string when it is set in motion. Even with such innovations of the micro-fret or true temperament fret board the finger pushing down changes those dynamics.

Take into account that even if we had 'perfection' in one key, what happens when we change to another, and, of course - how about as those strings begin to wear and stretch- during playing?

Short and simple explanation of 'temperament'

Two (combined) innovations dealing with 'perfectly in tune' -

spinland

Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:01 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Alles klar, keiner weiss Bescheid! Or, Alle klarheiten beseitigt! :laugh:
Alles schlammklar? :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic