So, all of our guitars are out of tune... or what?

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:08 pm

This was interesting. Are we all slightly out of tune on major 3rds? I can certainly hear a difference with these additional frets. Of course, I am way out of my depth on understanding what's going on but maybe some others here are not and can explain......

michelew

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Very interesting Chris. I imagine you'd need to tune your guitar very accurately and maintain that tuning to really get the benefit he describes; e.g. By using micro aduljustments as the string warm up over the course of a playing session.

One thing I don't understand, if it this is also an issue for the piano, surely it's a matter of small changes in the string lengths. So I wonder whether any piano manufacturers are applying those changes now. I get the resonance benefit. What are the disbenefits that stop piano manufacturers doing it now. Maybe some do...

Thanks again

M

TGNesh

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Gosh, what a difference those little frets make :ohmy: .....yes, i did know about the problem, i hear it all the time (it's a 'major' pain :S ), so this is pretty interesting.

Nice find Chris, thanks for sharing it!

michelew

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Ness - Is it mostly an issue with the frets closest to the nut; where the distance between frets is larger in comparison to fret spacings further towards the sound hole?

Chris - does he use micro frets further down too?

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:15 pm

He sites a guy who has these extra frets all over the fret-board.

michelew

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:15 pm

And here's more from him and a demonstration of two guitars with permanent micro frets. The second is incredible; a Turkish tuning. It looks as if every fret, for every string is adjusted

He plays beautifully. And they sound wonderful.

M

wrsomers

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Very interesting! For now, I'll just use my handy tuning chart which essentially lowers each string's frequency by 3 cents (.03)

It works just fine. I don't think I'd ever be able to play a guitar like the second one he plays (or want one for that matter). :)

Bill

dottmcse85630

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:21 pm

WHAT you have to tune your guitar?
All this time I thought it was me!
Whoda known?

Well I was tryin to blame my poor playing on sumthin' else! Guess I need to point the finger at myself.

spinland

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:05 pm

:silly:

michelew

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:48 pm

spinland wrote:

:silly:
I just woke up so I'm probably being daft. But I've got no idea what you're trying to communicate with the picture of your midi guitar. Is it possible to program the specific frequency of each fret? As in, it it possible to get the same benefit of using micro frets, from your midi?

That's the only thing I've got. You'll need to explain it if you're trying to convey something else.

Hello.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic