I love playing guitar when ...

fjeanmur

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:08 am

I love playing guitar when . . . I'm alone in the house with no distractions and there's no one to judge me but me.

auntlynnie

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:29 pm

I have to say that what Jean wrote is often how I feel. But I also enjoy playing as background when we are sitting around a fire and nobody is paying attention and the music simply adds to the ambiance.

But maybe Michele is posing a deeper question: what drives us to play guitar/continue playing guitar?

Just as a baby is driven to crawl, to sit up, to walk, to run... many of us are driven to learn that next song, and the next one, and the next one, or a new technique or style.
For me it seems to be very specific songs. Neil and Vanessa put up so many great lessons, and I often try old familiar songs for a bit, learn whatever the hook is for a particular song, but certain ones I am absolutely driven to learn, completely, and commit to memory and add to the playlist, for example That'll Never Happen No More, Money's All Gone, Fishing Blues. They definitely seem to be of one particular style, don't they? I suppose that's because they are mostly instrumentals - I've never gotten the hang of singing and playing at the same time, so that limits the attractiveness of some songs.

That's just my two cents worth. A good question to ponder.
Lynn

michelew

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Lynn, you're spot on. I was asking the bigger "why?" Question too. Nice answer BTW.

I can definitely relate to these answers. Jean - yep!, yours in particular. But, also the general consensus that's it's just great to play the guitar.

Of course some days are more fun than others. When I'm able to play with other people and it comes together and I feel relaxed, that's great fun. I'd love for that to be a regular experience. Hey I might have to arrange for a few of you to move to Sydney. B) :laugh:

daryl

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm thinking about moving to Sydney.

fjeanmur

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Sydney? I'm in!

michelew

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Daryl and Jean,

Haha! :lol: :laugh: :woohoo: Cooooool!

fjeanmur

Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:09 am

michelew wrote:
Daryl and Jean,

Haha! :lol: :laugh: :woohoo: Cooooool!
But first you'll have to teach me to speak like an Aussie!

spinland

Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:40 am

fjeanmur wrote:
G'day, mate!

Fancy some shrimp on the barbie?

That's not a knife!

How am I doing thus far? :silly:

(Those were the most-abused stereotypes I could come up with on short notice; I'm sure there are more. :side: )

fjeanmur

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:02 am

spinland wrote:
fjeanmur wrote:
G'day, mate!

Fancy some shrimp on the barbie?

That's not a knife!

How am I doing thus far? :silly:

(Those were the most-abused stereotypes I could come up with on short notice; I'm sure there are more. :side: )
Sounds good to me, although i don't get the kinfe one. What do you think, Shel? With this list, will I pass?

spinland

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 am

fjeanmur wrote:

Sounds good to me, although i don't get the kinfe one.
Quote from the movie Crocodile Dundee. Possibly the source of the most popular Aussie stereotypes ever. :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic