Copyright issues?

jakef

Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm tempted to join the Target program but am a bit apprehensive. All of the song lessons are excellent but they are all based on copyrighted material. I could see this entire site going down if there was a copyright law suit filed. Does Totally Guitars have any kind of licensing agreement with the publishing companies of these songs or are you just taking a chance that you won't have a problem. I would hate to pay up and then have the site go down. Thanks so much for any info.
Jake

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Been here as a TARGET member nearly 8 years Jake.... the site is still standing. The lessons are original works by the teachers based on songs in the public domain. I think its safe to say you can look forward to years of learning here if you so choose.

Chris

michelew

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:28 pm

I also remember Neil talking about the fact that there are exemptions from the copyright laws for teaching purposes. This is a teaching site.

I'm sure Neil could give a comprehensive explanation. But Jake I know that Neil and Matt the other cofounder of this site, are very aware of copyright requirements and what you can and can't do.

Occasionally people have issues when they post a performance video (especially Eagles songs), of themselves playing another artists song. Generally it's because they are so DAMN good. I know Vanessa has run into that problem before. But that's a different kettle of fish than any copyright restrictions that apply to the teaching of other artists songs.

Welcome to the forum Jake. I wholeheartedly recommend the TARGET program.

I hope we see you around.

Enjoy

Michele

NKenny

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:39 pm

I asked that question a long time ago when this site first started and I joined. Because I know of sites that have had legal problems when they were teaching copyrighted songs and charging a fee. But I have been around since the beginning of Totally Guitars and I assume they have taken care of that potential legal problem. At least I hope so because this is the best teaching site and Neil is the best, would hate to see a problem!
Kenny

spinland

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:32 am

michelew wrote:
Occasionally people have issues when they post a performance video (especially Eagles songs), of themselves playing another artists song.
I've only posted two songs via YouTube thus far (my Christmas video and my recent John Denver effort) and both were flagged as copyrighted material—but the response was they simply added ad banners to the screen (that you can dismiss). The proceeds go to the copyright holders and all is well. Methinks the music industry is (very slowly) learning to cope with today's reality.

As for this site, there are numerous provisions under "Fair Use" some of which come under research and educational material. I'm not a lawyer (and have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express) but I expect the material here falls firmly under that umbrella.

Hope to see you around! :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic