Stepping up to the best of both worlds

spinland

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:47 am

familyman4 wrote:
I am assuming that the electronics will be positioned under the bridge saddle?

Bart
Yes; though I've found precious little detailed info on the electronics (a crap ton of demos of the plugged-in tone, though) it's billed as "undersaddle" piezo and it's an active pickup with the tone and volume controls just inside the sound hole and the battery tucked up under the base of the neck.

Here's another video: this one from a PRS rep going over the whole SE Angelus line, starting with the one I bought, and showing a few more details about the construction and layout. It covers the 2016 line and the primary difference in 2017 is they dropped the black A10E and added a sunburst version.

[video type=youtube]eVkk33KyALA[/video]

Mark

spinland

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:34 am

Side note: documentation on the Angelus pickup system is hella weak—nonexistent, even. I had to Google to find a forum post where someone explained where the battery is stowed; it's not documented anywhere else that I can find. Odd, and a little frustrating.

I started a thread on the official PRS forum asking whether any tech geeks have more insight to offer than I can find in the literature. If I turn up any nuggets I'll be sure to share them here.

Mark

spinland

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:09 am

Bazinga!

Haven't watched these yet but just found a way-cool link on the PRS site I'd not seen before; thank you, Google.

http://www.prsguitars.com/detail/

Three chapters on acoustics, too. Off to do some reading and watching!

Mark

spinland

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:14 am

Got some feedback from the PRS site.

The electronics are identical to the Takamine TK-40, except the battery is separate instead of integrated and PRS somehow embeds the pickup into (or under) the bridge in a manner they don't make easy to discover.

Mark

daryl

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:06 pm

So Mark, you do realize that with the electronics in your new guitar, you can now make your new ACOUSTIC guitar sound like an ELECTRIC guitar. Heck, you can probably make it sound like a Fender Strat going through a stack of Marshall amps or a Rickenbacker going through a Vox amp! The sky's the limit!! ;-)

spinland

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

daryl wrote:
So Mark, you do realize that with the electronics in your new guitar, you can now make your new ACOUSTIC guitar sound like an ELECTRIC guitar. Heck, you can probably make it sound like a Fender Strat going through a stack of Marshall amps or a Rickenbacker going through a Vox amp! The sky's the limit!! ;-)
Hell, with that MIDI guitar software you showed me I can make it sound like a harmonica if I want. :silly:

Mark

spinland

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:35 pm

First bonding. I'm stunned by how good playing this thing feels. B)

daryl

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Sweet looking guitar there Mark! I'm happy for you. Now let's see some guitar playing......

spinland

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:01 pm

daryl wrote:
Sweet looking guitar there Mark! I'm happy for you. Now let's see some guitar playing......
Coming up! Almost feel ready to record the next piece. If I didn't have some business stuff to do tonight I'd be practicing to get ready for it.

Mark

daryl

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Excuses excuses.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic