What are you working on?

michelew

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 pm

This last week end was the first weekend in what must be months that I've had some time to pick up the guitar. I played for about half an hour; just this and that all of which were rusty. But, it confirmed for me that the thing I really need to work on right now is rebuilding my callouses. Ouch! That's my punishment for not playing for months I guess. ;) for not giving music the important position it should have in my life.

I need to do some planning too (which I'm always terrible at). I need a plan to work out where to focus my limited time so I can play the things I've learned; pick up and familiarize myself with where I got to with those projects that I never finished (but want to); and work out where to from here; i.e. work out what I want to learn next.

Frankly, the TG library is so enormous now and there are SO many things I'm interested in learning that the last task is pretty daunting.

I assume that many of you also have less time than you'd like to have to play, refresh and learn.

So my questions to you all:

- What are you working on?
- How do you choose where to focus your energy?
- Do you have a plan or do you just meander around like I have been most recently?

Read you later. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Michele

willem

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:29 am

Dream a little dream of me

Tears in heaven

B)

spinland

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:18 am

Plan? Plan? What is plan? (so, so very obscure Star Trek TOS reference, also mangled to fit this thread. Nerds-R-Us).

The usual process is I hear a song on one of my playlists (I gave up things like radio many years ago) and it hits me that I not only lke it but it might be playable. Then, as work and family life permit, I doink around with it for a while until I decide whether it's within reach or something I'm not yet ready for.

Two within-reach candidates currently on my music stand:

• Help Me Through the Night, Joe Walsh. Using it as my vehicle for practicing 12 string acoustic work via Bart's generous loan from his "warehouse." Also great for working with alternate tunings since it's played in open G.
• I Dreamed There Was No War, Glenn Frey instrumental from the Long Road out of Eden album by The Eagles. Haunting, beautiful, a perfect fit for my Gibson 335, and well within my current soloing abilities (after enough practice).

There is a comparitively-obscure Jimmy Buffet cover of a Guy Clark tune that's probably going to become number three on that short list.

Mark

sandysue

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm

I’m working on two songs mainly right now including: like I’m gonna lose you by Meghan Trainor, and you needed me by Anne Murray.

I usually pick my songs either by something I’ve heard on the radio that I love singing and think I would like to play, or a lesson that I’ve seen on TG. :)

Sandy

Craig

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Paul McCartney's "Junk" (have it down pretty good)

Fire & Rain (work in progress)

Ain't No Sunshine (long term project)

Craig :)

michelew

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Willem, Mark, Sandy, Craig,

Hi!! It feels like forever since we've heard from most of you.

Great to hear you're playing and working on cool songs.

So now I'm eager to hear what you're working on instead of just reading about it. What do you all say? Any chance of some videos; either completed and polish or 'in progress' productions to show us how it's coming together. Of course the beauty of the latter is that Neil and Ness may be able to offer you a gem of wisdom that will help you to get it sounding like you want it to a little earlier.

Thanks for responding. And thanks for the inspiration. I'm in the coffee queue at work. But now I definitely want to go home and play something. :)

Shel

spinland

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Soon, Shel, promise.

jayswett

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:53 pm

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall
Angie

ktrock1

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 pm

As someone else said, something that pops up on my playlist.

We also have themed open mics at one place near me. This month's theme, what else? Halloween! So mine are Abracadabra and Somebody's Watching Me.

Ken

crieniecat

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:24 pm

ktrock1 wrote:
As someone else said, something that pops up on my playlist.

We also have themed open mics at one place near me. This month's theme, what else? Halloween! So mine are Abracadabra and Somebody's Watching Me.

Ken
Both great songs! Please post your progress?

Corina.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic