What are you working on?

michelew

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Jay I'm sure you'd do a great job on both of those. I'd love to hear Angie in particular.

Ken that sounds like heaps of fun. I'm sure they'll go down well. If someone videos you, you could do a show and tell here too. :)

Thanks for sharing guys.

M

familyman4

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:51 pm

I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt

Actually, I am learning the Vanessa version of this B.R. song. I actually challenge everyone to go back a year ago and watch the "play thru" of this song by Vanessa. OMG! The passion & expression in her voice & playing is nothing short of perfection!!!

So, I can play the notes & the chords just fine. My personal challenge is being able to express the "Feel" like Vanessa & B.R. do. The rest of the story is that I am learning it at the request of my daughter as another song to perform together. She will have to sing it with all of that emotion. But even with that, the playing of the song is also full of heartbreak and passion.

All this being said, we have some fine teachers here at TG! They give us a clear roadmap, we just have to stay on coarse.

As Always, Thanks!
Bart

spinland

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Okay, Shel, as requested: an in-progress video of one of my current projects.

The original is really nearly this slow, which is part of why I decided it'd be a good vehicle for my learning process. That being said, needs lots moar praktuss to smooth it out and get the timing right. It's in D in 3/4 time at just under 70bpm. I'm leveraging the relative minor key to play it using the Bm pentatonic. This video is the first two phrases, and I only today got to where I could play them through from memory. Lots more work to do.

I recorded this using just my iPad, with that little 3W battery-powered amp you guys saw at Camp sitting on the table next to it. No effects save the delay built into the amp. Guitar is my Gibson ES335, which is a perfect fit for this piece.

The song is an instrumental called "I Dreamed There Was No War" by Glenn Frey.

Mark

familyman4

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:55 pm

Hey Mark,

All of your hard work is paying off! I recognized the song, then went back to listen to the Eagles version. All you need is an orchestra behind you B)

Thanks for sharing!
Bart

michelew

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Mark,

I agree with Bart. You've some reeeeeally nice feeling happening there. There are a couple of notes that are cut a little short and it will sound even better when you're sustaining them too. But, I think this might be the best thing I've seen you post. Nice sensitivity.

Thanks for sharing your progress.

M

michelew

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 pm

familyman4 wrote:
I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt

Actually, I am learning the Vanessa version of this B.R. song. I actually challenge everyone to go back a year ago and watch the "play thru" of this song by Vanessa. OMG! The passion & expression in her voice & playing is nothing short of perfection!!!

So, I can play the notes & the chords just fine. My personal challenge is being able to express the "Feel" like Vanessa & B.R. do. The rest of the story is that I am learning it at the request of my daughter as another song to perform together. She will have to sing it with all of that emotion. But even with that, the playing of the song is also full of heartbreak and passion.

All this being said, we have some fine teachers here at TG! They give us a clear roadmap, we just have to stay on coarse.

As Always, Thanks!
Bart
Hi Bart. I absolutely agree.

And I expect you'll be making us weep if you ever decide to post a video of this; regardless of whether your daughter joins you or not.

Thanks for sharing.

M

spinland

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:31 am

familyman4 wrote:
All you need is an orchestra behind you B)
Working on that, Bart! I have the entirety of the Miroslav Philharmonik at my literal fingertips. :side:

Thanks!

Mark

spinland

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:34 am

michelew wrote:
There are a couple of notes that are cut a little short and it will sound even better when you're sustaining them too. But, I think this might be the best thing I've seen you post. Nice sensitivity.
Thanks, Shel! I'm especially less-than-pleased with the sustain I'm getting during that long bend. Electric guitar tone is an art in its own right and I'm learning lots of stuff as I go. Love the feedback (and the attaboys), thanks! :side:

Mark

unclewalt

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:42 am

michelew

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Uncle Walt;

That’s quite a lot. Good for you.

I’m guessing that our gurus could help you to avoid some sloppiness, or just help you on your way to sounding better in general. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen you post anything. But I absolutely know that I’ve benefited from Neil’s and Vanessa’s advice when I’ve posted something I’ve been working on; especially when I’ve worked on it for a while and or it’s something that is not a strength. You’d be doing yourself a favor if you took advantage of that feature of this site too.

Enjoy and all the best.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic