What are you working on?

dottmcse85630

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:39 pm

At camp I asked Neil for advice for the year. He mentioned I should pick 10 to 12 songs that I could play and sing from memory.
Since camp I've been picking and choosing from my list, working a few and archiving others.
So far I have the 3 from camp plus these:
The Ghost In You - Psychedelic Furs from the 90's
Space Oddity - Bowie got this one down pretty good, even the barre chords.
Lyin Eye - Eagles
Sweet Painted Lady - Elton John
Maggie May - Rod Stewart just polishing this one.

Some others just for fun and possible arsenal:
Angie - Stones my favorite to play.
Couple of Don Henley tunes
Wichita Lineman got the guitar parts pretty solid on this one but the vocals are just a pain for me to link in.
Eyes without a Face Billy Idol
And other odd-ball stuff here and there.

TGNesh

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Gosh you're too kind!! :blush: :cheer:

I can surely relate to what you're saying about the challenges in this song. It's just such a heartbreaking one and needs to be played and sung as such. So your comment means the world to me...

I am of course very curious how the collaboration with your daughter will turn out. I can only image that you two will nail it for sure! (Please let me know when you get to it. )

Thanks so much Bart! :kiss:

familyman4 wrote:
I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt

Actually, I am learning the Vanessa version of this B.R. song. I actually challenge everyone to go back a year ago and watch the "play thru" of this song by Vanessa. OMG! The passion & expression in her voice & playing is nothing short of perfection!!!

So, I can play the notes & the chords just fine. My personal challenge is being able to express the "Feel" like Vanessa & B.R. do. The rest of the story is that I am learning it at the request of my daughter as another song to perform together. She will have to sing it with all of that emotion. But even with that, the playing of the song is also full of heartbreak and passion.

All this being said, we have some fine teachers here at TG! They give us a clear roadmap, we just have to stay on coarse.

As Always, Thanks!
Bart

TGNesh

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:14 pm

I agree with the others Mark, the notes sound great, good job!

I have a question, when you're playing through this, would you know how the beats fit in? Can you for example tap your foot along?

spinland wrote:
Okay, Shel, as requested: an in-progress video of one of my current projects.

The original is really nearly this slow, which is part of why I decided it'd be a good vehicle for my learning process. That being said, needs lots moar praktuss to smooth it out and get the timing right. It's in D in 3/4 time at just under 70bpm. I'm leveraging the relative minor key to play it using the Bm pentatonic. This video is the first two phrases, and I only today got to where I could play them through from memory. Lots more work to do.

I recorded this using just my iPad, with that little 3W battery-powered amp you guys saw at Camp sitting on the table next to it. No effects save the delay built into the amp. Guitar is my Gibson ES335, which is a perfect fit for this piece.

The song is an instrumental called "I Dreamed There Was No War" by Glenn Frey.

Mark

TGNesh

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Sounds great Dennis! You'll be so ready for IGC 2018! ;)

dottmcse85630 wrote:
At camp I asked Neil for advice for the year. He mentioned I should pick 10 to 12 songs that I could play and sing from memory.
Since camp I've been picking and choosing from my list, working a few and archiving others.
So far I have the 3 from camp plus these:
The Ghost In You - Psychedelic Furs from the 90's
Space Oddity - Bowie got this one down pretty good, even the barre chords.
Lyin Eye - Eagles
Sweet Painted Lady - Elton John
Maggie May - Rod Stewart just polishing this one.

Some others just for fun and possible arsenal:
Angie - Stones my favorite to play.
Couple of Don Henley tunes
Wichita Lineman got the guitar parts pretty solid on this one but the vocals are just a pain for me to link in.
Eyes without a Face Billy Idol
And other odd-ball stuff here and there.

crieniecat

Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:37 pm

How nice it would be to see you all post your songs and progression!
....Sandy, Shel, Uncle Walt, Jay, Ken, Bart, Dennis, Mark, Willem, Craig etc.

I really see some very nice tunes being mentioned!

Please post!!! :laugh: :kiss:
Corina.

spinland

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:06 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
I agree with the others Mark, the notes sound great, good job!
It is to blush. Thanks, Ness! Lots of work done since I posted that, and more still to go.
I have a question, when you're playing through this, would you know how the beats fit in? Can you for example tap your foot along?
Tapping my foot, bobbing my head, all the above. :silly:

I have a good, instinctive feel now for where the notes come in, it’s keeping that feel while I’m playing them and anticipating the next phrase and all of that. I get it: that comes with practicing it so much you no longer have to think so much about the actual notes.

One thing I have is a simple drum track I put together that’s barely more than just a polyphonic metronome but to me is lots less boring to follow. It’s helping a lot.

Mark

unclewalt

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 pm

michelew

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:45 am

unclewalt wrote:
I would post video if I had done it before, and could just lay it down and put it up here. But I haven't shot myself playing, so it's a whole thing to make sure I do it as well as I can, and all I have is my phone. I will when I can make some time, though!
That’s great to hear Uncle Walt. Have fun.

There are a few people who use their phone to film themselves; from memory Sandy, Craig and most recently Carol. And they’ve all produced great results so it’s definitely doable with just a phone.

Once you’ve got a video you’re happy to post. I’d be happy to help you to get it onto the forum, if you need assistance. I’d suggest posting it to YouTube first and then posting a link. If that sounds like technobabble I’d be happy to send you some step-by-step instructions.

Have fun videoing yourself. There are many threads on why making a video can really suck so you’ll be in good company if you find the process challenging. But once you’ve posted a video you’ll be wondering why it took you so long to do so; especially if you get advice from one of our teaching gurus.

Cheers and enjoy.

Michele

unclewalt

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:46 pm

unclewalt

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic