What are you working on?

michelew

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Uncle Walt,

For a little while there I thought you might be getting enthused to post something. Maybe you will at some point. I think the forum is always at its best when people are sharing what they’re learning and playing; no matter the reason. Everyone benefits, no matter the person’s level of skill.

Happy playing. Cheers

Michele

carolm242

Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi Michele! Hope your callouses are well on their way back by now, and that you are enjoying your guitar on a regular basis ;) I usually play for at least an hour after work every day, but there are days when I am just too tired. But I'd say I play 5-7 days/week. My teacher keeps telling me to play every song in my notebook once a week or so to keep from forgetting all my hard earned songs. I have lost more than a few by not playing them enough. My teacher is pretty smart.

- What are you working on?
Right now I am polishing up Doug Young's arrangement of Shenandoah, and as long as I am in DADGAD, I have been chewing on an old Celtic folk song called Si Bheag, Si Mhor, arranged by Pete Huttlinger. I can try to attach my latest practice video of it- it's still a work in progress, only had the TABS for 4 days. Also working on some classical duets with my teacher, look Ma, no TABS!!! And I am really enjoying the post IGC videos that Neil has posted- I am singing right along with Corina on all those Carpenters songs which yup I know the words to all of em, ha!!!

- How do you choose where to focus your energy?
I have a long list of songs I want to learn on my YouTube but I am constantly distracted from that by hearing stuff other people are playing and working on. It's just whatever strikes me as a "gotta learn" song, goes to the top of my list.
- Do you have a plan or do you just meander around like I have been most recently?
I try to put in my time with doing scales and fingering exercises, then work on my stuff for my weekly lesson, then mess around with whatever I am learning from online sites. There's never enough time- I would play all day if I could. I have put housework on the back burner many days, so I can play guitar more. Ha!!!

This was a great discussion thread, I enjoyed reading everybody's comments!!

michelew

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:02 am

Carol,

Thanks so much for giving us so much insight into how you approach things. It’s OBVIOUSLY paying off for you. I REALLY enjoyed your video. Gosh you play beautifully and make it look so effortless. Wonderful stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

M

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:05 am

Really enjoyed Carol's vid, nice work!

Me, I keep coming back to this and as Mike Massy just uploaded his version, I am even more in to it....

spinland

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:43 am

Let's see how long this share stays up on YouTube before it gets DMCAd. This is the version of the Joe Walsh tune I'm working on.

ON EDIT: heh. I might have set a record for a takedown. "I'm already gone!"

Here's a version I found from someone else's YT channel, and I have no idea why theirs is okay but mine wasn't. Makes no sense to me, but there it is.

I have Bart's gorgeous Taylor 12-string tuned to open G and I alternate between serious practice and just basking in that glorious tone.

I definitely plan to dub in the Felder guitar solo part and, in the long term, hope to be able to add the bass part as well. Both are reachable in complexity and required skill level, and this is a gorgeous song by any measure.

Mark

spinland

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:12 pm

You’re a source of endless good vibes and inspiration, Carol. Upstate is lucky to have you (as are we). :cheer:

Mark

ktrock1

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 pm

This should be a segment of it. Voice isn't that great; was still recovering from a cold.

Ken

ktrock1

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Sounds great (the Mike Massey video)

michelew

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:21 am

ktrock1 wrote:
This should be a segment of it. Voice isn't that great; was still recovering from a cold.

Ken
Hi Ken. I’m a little confused by your post. I’m not sure whether you’re responding to something I’ve missed; or perhaps you intended to post a link and forgot (or it didn’t work).

M

ktrock1

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Thought I had attached a small video in my reply. Maybe we can't do that.

Ken

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic