A voyage of re-discovery: What are you listening to?

michelew

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi everyone,

Isn’t it amazing how good music can make time fly when you’re doing something boring, exhausting, etc.

On the weekend, I put my headphones on and selected shuffle for my music library. It’s a pretty good station. And I rediscovered some great gems I hadn’t listened I for a while. One was Laura Marling; brilliant. I put her album “I speak because I can” on repeat after that.

I especially love this track; Alpha Shallows. It reminds me a little of Nick Drake - the driving and repetitive bass I think. It also develops so fantastically.

And here she is playing a tiny desk concert:

So rediscovered any gems lately? What are you listening to?

M

sandysue

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi Michele

On Halloween at 7am to 10am I listened to a radio station KKUP 91.3 fm for 3 hours because a friend of mine who is a musician in the California Beach Boys band, was a guest host for that segment. They ware featuring mostly Classic light rock from the 60's-70's and playing mostly hit songs from the most prominent bands from that era. There were so many great songs that I went crazy and looked each of them up on TG as they were playing, to see if Neil had lessons up for any of them, and of course he did. I loved how the station featured one band at a time and played several of their best songs each. I copied quit a few of the tabs from Neil's lessons and now they are sitting on my piano in a big stack. I call them my wish list. :)

Sandy

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:13 am

Hi Shel and Sandy (and anyone else tuned in), thanks for the link. Sounds like a good show you listened to Sandy :) .

I've been listening to Loreena McKennitt's Book of Secrets last couple of days. She is on my play lists anyway but Ale sent me a YT link saying she liked Dante's Prayer so much so I listened in to that and a live version and its been in my head constantly since. So I decided to try to play it and Ale sung for me as I played it last night, really nice. The Russian choir cannot be replicated but the rest works :-). A song full of healing.

daryl

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Powerful.....

michelew

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 am

Sandy - sounds great. :)

Chris - I see why you both love it. There are a lot of elements in there that you could add with the magic of GarageBand. You could even add the choir, you just need to find suitable singers. Just a few with the right ranges. Then you record many tracks and paste them together and Low and behold you have a choir. Have fun. Great project.

Daryl - WOW! Well that’s honest.

And here’s a tune from Sarah Jarosz. A recent find. :)

dottmcse85630

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Growing up in the late 60's and 70's I seem to fixate on those era's of listening. Although, the 80's and 90's have their share of tunes I enjoy, but they seem to diminish from that point.
I'll listen to iTunes or Pandora and re-discover an old song or two.
Being a late in life learner of the guitar I have a much deeper appreciation for the music, especially the singer-songwriters. Some of the tunes I wouldn't think much of but listened anyway I've come back across them only to find an interest to learn to play.
My list goes on and on, many are out of my ability or not really suitable to a single guitar. Some I will discard others on the shelf for later.

All in all I have a much greater appreciation for music, but as always if not even more I like how music invokes memories, feelings and how it gets into your soul.

On a similar note. Attending camp and listening to others play opens new and different horizons, so so many to list but I would have not given Sarah Jarosz a listen had it not been for Lisa playing at Camp. Ted playing his Stephen Still song. Dan with his originals. Like I said so many more.

Re-discovery, oh yes, kind of a rediscovery of myself.

Great post idea!

Dennis

michelew

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Dennis,

It’s great to hear from you. Music is evocative indeed.

Here’s another tiny desk concert. The second song is one of my (maybe the) favorite songs from Sarah Jarosz; Build Me Up From Bone. It reminds me of a time I was away from home for a week of learning, which was inspiring and exciting. It evokes a mix of feelings in me for sure.

Actually Ness introduced me to Sarah Jarosz; who’s become one of my favorite musicians. Haha! Make that two of my favorite musicians (recommended and recommendee). Ness I’d buy your album any day.

I’m with you Dennis. Discovering music I love feels like a rediscovery if me too.

Thanks for letting me know you’re enjoying this thread Dennis. Sometimes it’s hard to gauge.

M

dottmcse85630

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:57 am

Michele, thanks for posting the Sarah Jarosz "Comin' Undone" video. I would have never discovered it on my own. Trying to learn it now.

Dennis

spinland

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Over the past week or so I've been building up a playlist of "essential blues," ranging from BB King to Clapton to Jefferson Airplane and, yes, Led Zep. All the blues-centric folks out there I talk to stress that you start by just listening, and feeling it, and I didn't grow up with this style of music so I have a foundation to lay.

It's also fun and relaxing. :side:

Mark

dtaylor

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:47 pm

Not acoustic, but musically, Peter Green was unparalleled in terms of touch and tone, and also the value of what you don't play, as much as what you do.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic