OMB device opinions please?

dottmcse85630

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Came across this device that attaches to the guitar to give you a "One Man Band". The ad sounds cool but I'd like to get other opinions.
http://get.ombguitars.com/?utm_source=T ... ium=TRS_FB

Web site says
Thanks to patented tech, you can play guitar and hear a piano. Or violin. Or practically any instrument. Then switch to another instrument. Or loop it and get back to your strumming. You can even leave the guitar sounds in the background.

Looks like price is $249 for the device with the app.

Opinions please?

Thanks

Dennis

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Nice! Cool gizmo Dennis.... and Christmas is coming soon.... :laugh:

Wonder who will be first to get one....?

spinland

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 am

Looks very cool and, based on their descriptions, functions much like the built-in resonance-to-MIDI sensors in my MIDI guitar. I like that it can be attached to your existing guitars.

Just signed up to be in the info loop. Probably won't jump on the early bird pricing but will be keeping an eye on the tech and see how it matures before I decide whether to buy in.

Thanks for the tip!

Mark

TGNesh

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Well.....it sure seems like a véry cool device and surely the answer to solo performers.

But.....it does say 'No more keeping up with the playback, now the playback follows your lead.'

So it follows yóu (I don't mean yóu personally, just anyone who uses it) and i suppose yóur timing too.....so yóu better be rock solid!! :laugh: :laugh: :P

Seriously, I don't think i would recommend such a device until one has no timing or rhythm issues at all. It's the most important aspect of music and you gotta have it down with no sweat at all.

When you, for example, watch the teacher's performances at IGC closely, you'll see plenty of mistakes happening (especially since we have this rule that we don't practice :laugh:), but one thing remains solid and that's the rhythm/timing. That's simply how we get away with it! :lol: B)

So i'd say such a device would only work well and fór the player if the player him/herself is leading the way, not vice versa.

That's my two cents. :)

Ness

spinland

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Wow, Ness, that’s a damned good point and one I hadn’t considered. I was looking at it from the standpoint of a modeling guitar to emulate other instruments, not in the role of generating backing tracks to play to. Right now I’m using a Trio+ pedal to create on-the-fly drum and bass tracks for practice, because I find metronomes to be boring and annoying and totally lacking in fun factor and hand-rolling my own via my DAW gets tedious.

Okay, gotta re-think where this gadget could potentially sit in my mix.

Mark

dottmcse85630

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm interested in how the device attaches to the guitar, certainly don't want something that will permanently attach or deface the guitar.

I guess I am always looking for something to enhance the few good things I play and mask the bad stuff! Ha! Yes I know practice makes perfect, but until then.

Dennis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic