Fun, musical highlights and other positive stuff - what’s been the best so far in 2017?

michelew

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Hey ya’all,

It’s been a weird year. But amongst all the challenges I’ve also had fun and some definite musical highlights.

I know 2017 isn’t over yet, but what have been the best bits of your musical life this year?

What will you recall fondly about your musical journey in 2017?

Read you later. :)

Shel

spinland

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:10 pm

IGC 2017. :side:

Mark

TGNesh

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 am

Musical highlight:

My new guitar! :cheer: B)

One of the most fún musical highlights:

Playing Elvis-tunes with Fred in Neil's cabin! :woohoo: :lol:

Musical teaching highlight:

IGC 2017 and recording Lost Boy with my student Riley. :)

Performing highlight:

Playing at Ed's place. Its acoustics made every note (vocally and guitarwise) sound magical.

TG lesson highlight:

'Bedshaped'. I didn't think i was able to pull off an arrangement that could work, but ....i managed to make it work afterall.
'You Needed Me'....LOVE the song and its beautiful and emotional feel. Have played and sung it ever since i heard it in my early teenage years. Never really got to an actual arrangement before, but working for TG encouraged me to so.

Well....that sums it all up i guess. :)

dottmcse85630

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:55 am

I'll follow Ness' format.

Musical highlight:
IGC 2017 singing Dave's "Georges Corner"

Two of the most fún musical highlights:
Learning to play and performing singing Dave's "Georges Corner". Second getting better with my set of 12ish songs.

Learning "Georges Corner" from Dave

I've found that applying myself, staying focused and dedicating time each day to practice has really helped with good results.

I have taken Neil's parting words from IGC to heart and am learning a set of 12ish songs I can play by heart. Started with a list of 35 or so and have it pared down to 18 now, some are flowing really great others are a bit of a challenge. Overall the difficult to play are benefiting my overall playing ability.

Dennis

michelew

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 pm

spinland wrote:
IGC 2017. :side:

Mark
I would have been surprised if you hadn’t said IGC. What DOES surprise me is the lack of accompaniments to your “list”. :)

michelew

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Ness,

Great list. Lots to be proud of there and everything you’ve described there sounds wonderful to be sure.

My list will come shortly. :)

Shel

TGVanessa wrote:
Musical highlight:

My new guitar! :cheer: B)

One of the most fún musical highlights:

Playing Elvis-tunes with Fred in Neil's cabin! :woohoo: :lol:

IGC 2017 and recording Lost Boy with my student Riley. :)

Performing highlight:

Playing at Ed's place. Its acoustics made every note (vocally and guitarwise) sound magical.

TG lesson highlight:

'Bedshaped'. I didn't think i was able to pull off an arrangement that could work, but ....i managed to make it work afterall.
'You Needed Me'....LOVE the song and its beautiful and emotional feel. Have played and sung it ever since i heard it in my early teenage years. Never really got to an actual arrangement before, but working for TG encouraged me to so.

Well....that sums it all up i guess. :)

michelew

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Dennis you crack me up. Another nice list of achievements. Good one.

M

spinland

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:29 pm

michelew wrote:
I would have been surprised if you hadn’t said IGC. What DOES surprise me is the lack of accompaniments to your “list”. :)
:blush:

That was rather non-verbose of me, wasn't it?

Okay, I'll elaborate some....

Musical highlight: Getting my first electric guitar and that event becoming the catalyst for my renewed interest in learning to play more than cowboy chords.

One of the most fun musical highlights: starting to arrange a new song and realizing I finally grok enough theory to understand why and how the original artist did what they did.

Musical teaching highlights: learning the rudiments of songwriting with Dave and Dan and putting together my first original song.

Performing highlights: my first-ever (and thus far only) open mic experiences at IGC. Even when I did a crash-and-burn one night (never change the vocal key at the last minute unless you're far more seasoned a performer than I). I was scared, but excited, and looking forward to more.

Takeaway from the year: Yes I Can. And, be fearless and embrace the fun. :side:

Mark

michelew

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 am

Mark,

Now THAT’S more like it. Lots of fond memories and plenty to be happy with. Nice!

Thanks for the details.

M

elennon

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 pm

my belated addition to the 2017 musical highlights

Musical highlight:
IGC 2017

Two of the most fun musical highlights:
IGC and meeting a really great group of fellow guitar campers.

finding a teacher like Vanessa

Eric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic