A Magical Concert of Breathe

TGNesh

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:36 am

I can't help to share this. I obviously bumped into this performance when doing research for my latest lesson, Breathe by singer-songwriter Anna Nalick.

I'm sure that every artist/band would agree that they love it when an audience is singing along with their songs. For both, artist/band and audience, it can result in chilling, and goosebump moments and i've seen or experienced many of such occasions.

Still, i thought this 'concert' was particularly incredibly magical. It turned out that Anna was sick that evening, managed to sing through one song and then just needed to call the quits. She did an Q&A instead to somewhat make up for it. At one point, someone in the audience suggested that they would sing her hit single 'Breathe' fór her or tó her actually......after Anna counting them in, they indeed did.

I think it's absolutely magical how it turned out, and I wish i could've experienced it right there. Thankfully it was captured on video as you can see. The magic even comes through via a screen. I hope you can see why i feel that way.

This is what Anna later posted on Instagram about it:

"It's been 10 years since the release of my first album, and in that time I've racked up a lot of stories, but I've never experienced anything in my career like tonight's incredible outpouring of love. The tour has been amazing, but last night I didn't feel well, this morning I was hoarse, by soundcheck I was croaking, and by showtime I had barely a laryngitis whisper.

I launched into the first song but my voice was really giving out. I didn't know what to do so I sat down and asked the audience if they wouldn't mind doing a whispery impromptu question/answer session. I made it all the way through Wreck but it was pretty tragic. I expected people to leave, but they stayed and listened to me whisper through an hour long "show". In lieu of music we laughed very hard, we discussed time, human connectivity, where we're headed, we discussed love that needs no words and is no fool for manipulation or exploitation, love beyond the fear of otherness that causes so many of the absolutely solvable problems humanity faces, and I answered song questions that made me recall details I haven't thought about in a decade.

At the end of my "set", someone in the audience suggested THEY sing Breathe to ME. I cued them and they sang the whole song. I'm sure I ugly cried through the biggest smile ever. I'll never in a million years be able to explain what hearing a whole theater full of people singing me the last verse and chorus of that naked little song I wrote when I was a teenager half terrified that anyone would hear it means to me. It's bigger than music. Thank you Albany for your patience, support, and beautiful voice. Thank you for being on my side and inviting me to be on yours. ... My heart grew three sizes tonight."

Lyrics:

Two AM and she calls me 'cause I'm still awake,
Can you help me unravel my latest mistake,
I don't love him, winter just wasn't my season
Yeah we walk through the doors, so accusing their eyes
Like they have any right at all to criticize, hypocrites,
You're all here for the very same reason

'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable
And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button girl/boys/now,
So cradle your head in you hands/Sing it if you understand

And breathe, just breathe,
Whoa breathe, just breathe

May he turn twenty one on the base at Fort Bliss
Just today he sat down to the flask in his fist,
Ain't been sober, since maybe October of last year.
Here in town you can tell he's been down for a while,
But my God it's so beautiful when the boy smiles,
Wanna hold him, maybe I'll just sing about it.

There's a light at each end of this tunnel, you shout
But you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
These mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around.

Two AM and I'm still awake, writing a song
If I get it all down on paper, its no longer
Inside of me, threatening the life it belongs to
And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
'Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loud
And I know that you'll use them, however you want to

crieniecat

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:55 am

Sniffin and tears over here...
That's exactly what music is all about... sing from the heart...

Thanks Nessa, lovely to watch xx
:kiss:

familyman4

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 am

Such a touching moment!

tombo1230

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Such great people/fans. Such a special moment that she will treasure. :)

Tom N.

michelew

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:50 am

It sure grabbed me. I have goosebumps and I’m all choked up. That must be one of the best compliments a songwriter and performer can receive; when an audience can sing their song back to them so well and so beautifully. Wonderful.

M

TGNesh

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Many thanks for checking it out guys and girls! Glad you can see the beauty and magic in it, no matter if you're familiar with the artist and/or song.

I would agree Shel, it must be one of the best compliments a songwriter/performer can receive. I remember an interviewer asking Jason Mraz, which of his own songs he likes to perform the most and he said the ones that the audience sing along with.

Music is such a magical thing....

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic